Greenhouse blackberries

My Chester is not trailing, semi erect. Canes would break if you tried to move them once mature. It may be just the response to area? The largest diameter canes of anything I grow.

4 Likes

So I either will have to find a trailing or can I adjust my growing method similar to my grapes where the main trunk grows along the ground and the fruiting vines are trellised and then rolled up and laid down for the winter?

1 Like

I grow them just like I would outside. The difference is it never freezes in my greenhouse. I’d be more concerned about temperatures both too high and too low in many greenhouses.

They can’t be grown like grapes with a trunk and then fruiting canes off that each yr. The new canes each yr come up from the ground. The trailing types are easier to manage for winter protection because the canes can be moved around more.

1 Like

Do what you can. I would still protect the base and as much as possible.
Do you know Conrad? He is not here, but really knows what works in Canada.
Chester still is a very good choice. try to direct the new canes low as you say, great idea. You can move them probably when young. Once older they will not move.

Here is my Chester right now.

Canes are thicker than my fingers.

5 Likes

That is considered a tree up here LOL. It is a lovely plant and yes, mine is young and still bendable, so now I do see the problem with the thick trunk. I will have to re think this. The site I was on said that Chester was a thornless trailing blackberry, OOPS.

Greenhouse temperature swings are something I watch carefully. Once winter has set in the plastic provides no protection at all, and the weak winter sun doesn’t create much heat, except to maybe keep the hours of -40C to a minimum. When the sun gets stronger in the spring
( April 1st up here ), I start up the greenhouse so the plants no longer have cold nights, and I let in cooler air during the day to eliminate temp. swings.

I don’t grow anything in the greenhouse that cannot be laid down and mulched, needs to be pruned right to the ground, or can be grown 12" above the ground so I can cover it in the winter.

Just thought I would experiment with blackberries, we like the ones we buy but it is expensive to get here.

2 Likes

We got down to -16F and Chester fruited. So with some protection it should make it fine.

2 Likes

Wow – those are some fine blackberry bushes! Are you out west or in the deep South? I’m surprised they’re fruiting already. The greenhouse is quite a nice setup – much more advanced than my humble orchard! I’ve just got a line of blackberries in a line – I’ve added some Kiowa and Apache to the mix – since they’re supposed to become gigantic, and the berries are gigantic. I saw them last year at Edible Landscaping in Afton, VA.

Sort of both out west and deep south. I’m in west Texas at 30N latitude and 4500ft elevation. A great climate for a greenhouse: yr around sunshine, low humidity, mild winter, and not too hot in summer.

I just wanted to add, you should try Tayberries too, they are not as tart as most blackberries, and taste nothing like blackberries. They almost have a strawberry flavor, very unique. Not that productive, but every year production has increased. They may be much more productive in a warmer environment. They barely survive here. I harvested my first ones today, the birds went crazy over them, i had to net them. So these would be super early there. They would be over by now in your greenhouse.These have really grown on me and are becoming my favorite. I will freeze most of them for jam this year. Great fresh, but such a unique taste they make for an excellent jam product.
I tried to cross them with Lochness, New Berry, and Columbia Star. Not knowing poidy level, it may not work? I bagged the fruit, so we will see? I hoping one of them will take.
Lochness too is becoming more productive every year, it is as productive as most anyway, good productivity with this one. This year my one Lochness plant has over 200 berries, Tayberry, maybe 50-75. In ground plants.
Lochness, one (or 2) of 4 branches, on 2017 05 30. Now they are all fruit. Not close to ripe, but blooms with most of the others.

1 Like

Drew thanks for your input. I may order these at some point.

Your greenhouse always looks perfect but I know you had to put in a lot of time and effort to get to this point. I’m just one of the people that wishes he had the same setup but probably will not ever happen. Thanks

1 Like

They are not a huge berry either, and get rather soft when ripe. They start turning a bright red, and when they dull, and darken they are ripe. This one is not quite ripe, only needs a day or so. Fine for jam. This hybrid, for whatever reason is more like a raspberry. Even redder than Boysen.

2 Likes

Is this a picture of the Tayberry?

1 Like
4 Likes

Here are my ripening Tayberries. Brady

6 Likes

I"m propagating some right now,if anyone wants rooted cuttings,probably in the Fall,please let me know.Brady

1 Like

Yes, Logenberries probably as good, but I can’t get the plant to stay alive here. tayberry is slightly more hardy. I may grow a loganberry in a container an put in the garage. Problem is I have three blackberries which I’m doing that with, and 35 figs, and 2 pomegranate trees, so no more room! Once I cull some of the figs…
I have them netted now, the robins love them! Stole about a dozen! Only about 70 of them as is.

2 Likes

Yours are bigger, and you are warmer, they do better in zone 7 and 8. I can barely grow them here. I will try though, fantastic berry!

1 Like

Maybe it’s the strain.Possibly try growing mine in your location and find out.Brady

1 Like

The Tayberry interested me for a couple of reasons. If yours are ripening now surely they would be ready at my home a week or two earlier. You also mentioned that they are sweet so my grands would like them. I might give then a trial at my place on a small scale. Thanks

1 Like