Greenhouse fruits are in bloom

It must be spring. My greenhouse fruits are blooming. In fact Tasty Rich aprium is at petal fall. Sweetcherries are blooming two months ahead of normal.

29 Likes

It seems you will be eating some cots and cherries in March Steve :blush:… Good for you!

5 Likes

That’s possible. April for sure. I hope to have main crop Black Madeira figs by late May and continue into December. 2020 should be a good year…!!

9 Likes

Wow! Beautiful as usual! I am always stunned with your profuse blooms! You are really into figs! Now that I live in ‘fig land’ I’m thinking of growing my first fig in a pot! I’ll just have to find out which fig grows easily here!

1 Like

I’m surprised they’ve already gotten sufficient chill hours.

1 Like

They’ll all grow well in the south of France. And if possible try one in ground.

I ran chill cycle Oct 20 to Dec 7. That netted about 625 Utah hrs. Then I was heating to 58F at night and running in the 80s by day while away on vacation. Tasty Rich bloomed in only two weeks, Dec 21.

3 Likes

Wow gorgeous blooms! Those fruits are going to be great!

1 Like

That is one hell of a green house you have there. Very nice to see those vibrant blooms!

Thank you, it is a beauty. Actually the best money I’ve ever spent. I’ve grown the best fruit I’ve ever eaten in there. And in the last 4 yrs It’s turned into a very nice business. It’s paid for the entire property 2 times over.

10 Likes

Steve

Do you ship fig trees or just local and/or large sales?

1 Like

Sweet!!(pun intended).

1 Like

I sell on figbid and ship nation wide. Prior to that I sold on eBay.

2 Likes

What do you do for pollination inside the greenhouse?

1 Like

With the few trees I have now it’s hand pollination. Prior to that I’d get a class C hive of bumblebees. That worked great. They give 4-6 weeks of pollination. If anything that small hive gives over pollination. I had to kill off some of the bees. I’ll go back to the bees if I end up getting more trees that need pollination.

2 Likes

What size is your greenhouse Steve?

1 Like

The GH is 32x54x16ft tall. It has three 36 inch exhaust fans and a 4ftx28ft wet wall. It’s worked great as is. But if building again I could save some money by reducing height to 12-13ft. That would make it easier to build and easier to change the roof poly. Also two exhaust fans would be enough. The automatic controls and wet wall vent could be manual. That would save several K$. What I might add is a second heater. Two small ones would add safety in case one dies during a cold spell.

Each side has 10,000 lbs of concrete to anchor the frame. I wouldn’t change that. All in all one could probably build a similar GH with changes above for about the same 25K$ as this one cost 15 yrs ago.

So it cost less than a pickup truck, is less expensive to operate, and will last several times longer. I still think of it as basically a new greenhouse. Very little has gone wrong.

9 Likes

Love your setup! Something to aspire to. Whats the cost to run the heaters?

1 Like

I never wanted a greenhouse until seeing yours. Just another item that I have to save money for. But before that, I need to get a big piece of land. That’s more expensive. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

In my normal operation heating costs about $500 per yr. It can be as high as $1500 if I do a lot of heating either to speed things up or to facilitate nursery operations. That’s with natural gas at $14 per mcf.

Cooling is about 1K per yr at most.

2 Likes