Greenwood chip budding, anyone tried it with pear/apple in the fall?

I’ve made greenwood buds on walnut with some success. The process is fairly simple. Find a scion limb of current season growth with leaves and buds in the leaf axils. Cut off a bud including the leaf. Cut a coin purse or notch type slot in a rootstock and insert the bud with leaf still attached. Wrap the bud with tape then cover the section of stem with a sheet of plastic (I cut up ziploc bags) and tape the plastic in place. Foliage above the inserted bud triggers callusing. The leaf attached to the bud piece produces some photosynthate which encourages the bud to be accepted.

My question is whether or not anyone has used a similar process with pear and/or apple?

1 Like

Hi Darrel
I have grafted both plum and apple with green scions in mid August once the green scions have mature growth buds but I have not had as much success with chip budding. BTW I grafted your walnut scions today. Side inlay took some practice to get right!
Dennis

1 Like

I don’t think most people do budding after early September. I did a fair number of inverted T bud grafts, as well as chip bud grafts on plum trees around mid August last year. Most took and are now pushing out new growth this year. I guess it depends on your climate exactly how late you can do budding.

1 Like

Not sure if this helps or not. I cut some green pear scion and grafted it this year to experiment. So far it looks like they took, but not really launching. Did that roughly 2 or more weeks ago.
I’m more interested in how budding is working for you on the walnuts.

1 Like