Grow Edamame or Soybean in Pot

Due to wild life pressure and the need to preserve seeds, I grow some edamame/soybean in pots this season. They are large pots, like 15 to 20 gallon plastic ones.

Here is a photo of FledderJohn. The large plant is about 18" tall. The catalog says it can grow to 24" to 36".

I do not know if this variety is determinate or not. At this rate, the plants can reach the mature height rather quickly. I assume I’ll need to support the plants at that high and they are in pots.

8 Likes

I never do them in pots but I have 4 types inground. I have 30 plants growing. My sons love them so I grow a lot every year. We look forward to harvesting them.

1 Like

Here is some update about the edamame. I’m not sure if they are ready to pick yet. Maybe still thin and small. They are from different batches.

1 Like

Which variety is best/most productive growing in pots? I may buy some seeds and try next year in pots.

I do not think there is much difference of in ground or in pot. But all soybean varieties are sensitive to day length and cycle.