Grow more food! Think there will be more shortages

Come up with and inexpensive technology to collect it and you will be rich.

@alan @BlueBerry

Collecting methane is pretty regularly done. There are landfills starting down that path Scrub Hub: Landfills try to convert methane emissions into energy . I’m not sure how they remove the smell. You can ferment anything for methane. This article is excellent AE-105

1 Like

I was actually speaking to farts, not composting manure. A tremendous amount of methane is released by dogs, cattle and pigs directly from their bodies as gas as I’m sure you know. .

2 Likes

My greens mini hoop house thing is working nicely… may have a salid from that for dinner this eve.

On the left black seeded simpson lettuce… middle half spinach half bok choi… on the right a specialty leaf lettuce mix.

10 Likes

Pretty much ran out of freezer room earlier this summer, due to massive amounts of blueberries. So… rather than freezing cowpeas & butterpeas, I just shelled 'em out, spread 'em on a towel on a table below a ceiling fan and dried them. Pulled the (bush-type) butterpea plants, just ahead of freeze last week, have them piled in the barn aisle, and I’m daily pulling filled pods off and shelling them of an evening while watching TV.

Also… last year, I bought a 2lb bag of ‘State’ half-runner green beans that were on clearance table at the local feed/seed store. We found them to be a pretty poor excuse for a green/snap bean, compared to any pole bean I’d grown in the past. Still had some seed in the freezer, and some vacant bean fence left, so I planted ‘State’ seeds and just let them go… picking them as pods turned yellow and started to dry; shelled them out and dried them. Have cooked one batch… they’re way better as a white bean than as a green bean.

9 Likes

@Lucky_P

I shell beans , wheat, rye, and others about the same Mustard seed Harvest . The old timers piled the wheat straw in big piles in the barn and most think they beat the grain out of it. What I was told they actually did was drove wagons over it. There is a reason I have a front and back Door on my barn. They laid out the equivalent of a tarp underneath and on top. Then used a broom to sweep the wheat in piles. They would beat the straw repeatedly to get all the wheat once they drove over it a bunch. Like removing the husk of a walnut.

6 Likes

Check out Sola bread, the loaves of bread have small slices but are tasty, they also make great hamburger buns and hot dog buns, Bagels as well.
There are even some dinner rolls that are supposed to come out for Thanksgiving
I have a Safeway here in town that carries it, otherwise I mail order from the website

3 Likes

After you pick the tea leaves how do you process?

I’ve got both C. sansanqua and japonica but have not made tea.

3 Likes

Camellia Sinensis is the species used commercially for tea leaf production.
India, China, Indonesia, are among places it is farmed for tea…S.E. Asia is the main area it’s produced.
It is grown in Crimea on the Black Sea…the “Sochi” cultivar might be the hardiest. Only commercial production of any size in the United States is near Charleston, SC.

Anyone growing citrus can grow tea…(here that means inside or a greenhouse)… it isn’t quite as hardy as c. sasanqua.
I have a few c. sasanqua I’ve planted for a paying customer over the years…most live if planted on N or NE side of a home in z6 and z7. In places like Charlotte NC or Columbia SC they’re a ‘no brainer’.

If you succeed growing c. Japonica, then you likely can grow c. sinensis.

I’ve not produced enough to answer your question on processing the leaves…either as green tea or dried…but if you’ve done homemade herbal teas, you can do c.sinensis tea.

2 Likes

Seems like you would need to strip the entire bush to get any quantity. I really wanted to plant some, but I think you would need a number of them to get usable amounts. It’s a shame coffee does not grow here.

2 Likes

My view is if it’s something that the Nuns at Catholic school or my Depression-era grandmother would think is offensive, or if the FCC would fine a radio station for airing it, then sure it’s profane. Anyone who doesn’t like it can be reminded that children can and do read forums. Including, I must assume, fruit forums.

I’m just one guy, but as I grow older (nearing 40), I appreciate more and more any forum where profanities are discouraged. Younger adults today who will readily post profanities and speech that shows they hold those who disagree with them on any particular topic in such low regard will often freak out about so-called “hate speech” which can sometimes be an opinion that was accepted by 95%+ of the population just a decade ago. The freedom to post the most profane, tribal thoughts combined with outrage culture has created this culture that now seeps into everything where basically partisans on either side show signs of totalitarianism.

Best to just respect each other as human beings, even if you disagree on everything. Even if you think Red Delicious is a fine apple you have the right to your opinion.

4 Likes

Joe, I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion on profanities. (Disclaimer: I am not advocating for use of profanities of any kind on this forum, nor have I used them here in the past.)

Having said that, there HAS been a shift lately in the public understanding of what constitutes a profanity, and I believe it’s a good thing. Generally, public institutions are not as pearl-clutchy about slang words for body parts and bodily functions any more. Major print outlets drop the F-bomb (the four-letter one), not to mention s#@t, left right and center. Teachers in my child’s high school do the same in class. Whether I, in my early 40s, like it or not is irrelevant - it’s happening and the public norms are shifting.

What constitutes a profanity in today’s world is derogatory terms for groups and classes of people. Racist, homophobic and misogynistic slurs (the n-word, the three-letter f-word and the c-word) are not okay and shouldn’t be.

People have the right to freak out about hate speech. It is only “so-called” until you’re on the receiving end of it. The fact that it was okay and accepted by 95% of the population a decade ago doesn’t take into account the opinion of the 5% (probably more) that were often on the receiving end of such slurs. I think it’s time to move away from measuring our morals with the catholic nun yardstick.

Here’s a write-up on The Atlantic on the subject, if anyone is interested: https://bit.ly/3wNpLIU

My apologies for derailing the discussion about sustainability.

6 Likes

This thread went off into political issues so is closed for awhile. I hope we can try to re-open it again.

6 Likes

Staying on topic here…

I am growing more food… going to harvest some now (picked 5 figs earlier)… going for greens and carrots now.

Those will all go well with a couple of nice grilled rib eye steaks for supper.

I will post a pic of my hoop house with greens flourishing, when I am back from harvesting those…

I would love to see or hear about what you are still harvesting.

TNHunter

14 Likes

Giant puffball, about 8” across

19 Likes

Wow… I thought that was cheese or some kind of bread at first.

Browns up nicely.

Here is some near future food for us…

A ground blind… my son and I will hunt from this weekend. Deer season opens Saturday here.

11 Likes

My son in the blind just after daybreak.

No meat today… saw a nice 6 point buck… let him walk. We are looking for either a really nice buck… or a young doe. Young doe is best for eating… I have a friend that will take the mature buck meat if we kill one.

I saw a really nice buck in the back yard a week or so ago.

We were covered up in squirrels this morning… one tried to get in the blind with us… ran right across that top rail.

After we get a deer or two… those squirrels will be next.

9 Likes

Are the young bucks tougher than young does? I only know that the old does are as tough as meat gets and that a young doe still has the potential to produce lots more young deer. Not that I will protest any hunter from taking one down in my neighborhood. Not enough hunting going on around here anymore. I’m only an hour from Manhattan and a lot of that crowd have moved to N. Carolina or Florida since I moved here. It used to be that when hunting season started it was like a war zone here, partially as the result of a lot of promiscuous shooting. This is its first weekend of gun season and although there are some cars parked by hunters near public land nearby, I haven’t heard a shot.

1 Like