Grow more food! Think there will be more shortages

Nobody gives up freedoms voluntarily. As the Scottish Declaration of Independence of 1320
avowed.
Bans on meat in the name of saving the planet is not going to go over very easily in the US (at least I hope not).

Shortages that are induced by nefarious people in high places ought not to be. Ever.

3 Likes

You may need greens under the covers…the diesel fuel shortages may lead to bare shelves soon…especially for produce. As truckers may not be able to make regular trips in a timely manner due to fuel outages or rationing.

Gasoline prices have dropped to near $3 in the vicinity here.

1 Like

@BlueBerry … my little dab of greens under cover this year. Floating row cover over bent cattle panel structure.

Warm enough the next few days that I pulled the cover back until needed again.

11 Likes

@TNHunter

Have you been enjoying some good greens now?

1 Like

Eggs at $7.37 a dozen did not surprise me. Many food prices have been higher and there will always be excuses why Egg Prices Reach $7.37, Yet Are Still Cheaper Than Other Proteins
A friend of mine buys quail and eats their eggs. It is about 3 eggs to 1 small chicken egg. The quail lay about an egg a day for the first year then they are butchered for meat as they no longer lay eggs.
He also enjoys the meat much more. The feed bill is very small. Some people raise pheasant as well. Many people get worried but i think in terms of what can i do since worrying will not help anyone. We can grow our own food. Many people on this forum raise chickens and gardens as one compliments the other. Free food for the chickens from garden waste and free fertilizer for the garden from the chicken waste. In the process eggs are layed for protein.

7 Likes

This week I went shopping and the rain caused fruit and vegetables to disappear. Very sad indeed. I’m glad I have lots of vegetables in my garden.

1 Like

I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance, but what do you mean by this?

2 Likes

@FarmGirl-Z6A

I’m guessing in California the referral is to the outdoor markets and vendors dont like the produce or them being rained on. California is very different in that they produce alot of food locally.

1 Like

Shops advertised for something and it’s not there when we got there. Like 3 pounds for $1 eggplants. Everything looks terrible, I don’t buy anything that looks terrible.

2 Likes

It’s at supermarket, I don’t go to farmers market anymore.
But I went to one Asian supermarket, fruit that are normally in abundant around this time are not there or not in good shape.

2 Likes

I have some old hazelnut trees on the edge of my lot that dominate the green belt. The 15 acres behind me (developed now) was a hazelnut farm up till 1980. It was wild until 2014 when it got developed. Anyway, the old trees are huge and dominate the north edge of my lot. Every year I try to pick them and the squirrels get just about every nut. I mean like a truckload. It’s crazy how much they eat (and burry). The problem is the squirrels start into them about a week before they are ripe. 17years here and still have not got any. My son loves the nuts (store bought ha) so he tries to nerf gun them away every year. Maybe time to get a BB gun and try getting some nuts this year. I feel we are wasting a lovely gift resource.

The only good thing is it keeps the squirrels busy so they are off my other crops. Like a sacrificial squirrel distraction.

2 Likes

Yes, they get them before they are ripe here too. But must wait for some threshold, because they go from loaded to completely stripped seemingly overnight.

2 Likes

watch were those squirrels go to stash the nuts then raid their stash. :wink:

2 Likes

Good idea. I like it.

The crazy part is the neighboring colonies that usually chase each other in figure 8 for crossing terf lines enter into a peace accord during this time. Then they hang together like marsupials from their tails. All hands and feet free. I am surprised how much dexterity their tails have. Honestly they are still and silent. All you hear are the shells falling like off an assembly line of squirrels. No squabbles.

1 Like

Sounds like a shooting gallery or you need hungry cats! We are blessed in that we don’t have squirrels.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed several walnuts in my container apples and blueberries…planted by the fuzzy tailed rats no doubt.

3 Likes

Read some of the thread, you guys are talking about food shortage. There were short time period that eggs seemed short supplied. The egg price was raised. However, I found that the eggs had price raised were mostly the store brand. Those eggs usually sold for $1~$2 a dozen , now sales for $4.99 a dozen. But for the brand name eggs, like the brand I usually buy, Happy Egg, price didn’t raise. I bought them $6.99 a dozen before and now it still is the same price. Depending on the stores, sometimes,I can find for $5.50 a dozen in different stores.
Talking about the meat supply, our grocery chain here in Chicago land sales bone-in port butt for $0.99/lb. Beef roast for $1.99 /lb. Cherry for $0.99 /lb. Price are so low ( I have not seen $1.99/lb beef price for many years) , it does not look like a food shortage to me. It looks like a food surplus. Although it may not a good sign, may indicate potential food supply chain issue down the road. But meanwhile, I really did not see what you guys are talking about.

These large mangoes were bought from the same store last week for $0.49 each.

4 Likes

I wish we had your pork prices. We’d try to time it ever year to buy pork at that price for sausage making, but the prices haven’t been that low here for a while.
Your egg companies might be swallowing the extra costs themselves right now, rather than passing it on. I’m meanwhile delighted that the yard egg sellers in the area have not up-ed their prices as bad as the grocery store has. I prefer buying from them anyways.

2 Likes

Indeed, I made quite few sausages. This kind of pork price has been going on since Oct. From $0.88/lb to $0.99/lb.
In the past, we have this price before Thanksgiving, every year. But this year is a bit unusual, we have this price at least once every month. We even had bone-in pork chop for $0.99/lb couple of weeks ago.
I really can’t complain about our grocery price. I think our grocery chain stores supplied us well. They did great job.

1 Like

The cheapest price for pork is $1.49 before Thanksgiving. Even cherries from Chile is $2.99. I got a bone in ham for 99c yesterday.