Growing Actinidia?

Deliciosa can be grafted on arguta. Grafts won’t last forever, but will last long enough to layer the scion. I always graft to green shoots in late spring. They heal fast and don’t bleed. The biggest issue may be matching scion and stock, since arguta wood is thinner, so you will need thinner deliciosa cuttings.

2 Likes

I’ve just been given a 6’ long piece if kiwi (deliciosa) vine, between 1" and 2" thick. It was growing in some woods nearby, and has been producing a lot of fruit for year - then someone cut it down.

Anyway, so now I have this great lump of vine stalk. I’m thinking of cutting it into 1’ lengths and burying it. Is this likely to produce some plants? Any better suggestions?

I’m in SW England

1 Like

Have there been any updates with grafts onto Vincent? I have some old established plants I’m interested in grafting over.

1 Like

I’m looking to get some Actinidia-macrosperma seeds or clones, anyone knows how i can get some?

Thank you

1 Like

Whereabouts are you located? Welcome.

1 Like

And exactly what are actinidia-macrosperma? I’m not familiar with that one.

1 Like

Macrosperma are the wild kiwi

Im from California.

Dov

1 Like

I grew argutas and kolomiktas on my property when I first started my orchard over 30 years ago in NYS. I was excited by them for a few years but, the fact is, most people only like them enough to forage a few- they are similar to paw-paws in this regard, a few people go ga-ga for them but most people don’t take them in as a staple fruit.

Kolomiktas tended to freeze out because they leaf out too early here and any frost can wipe out existing leaves and the season’s crop.

They provided wonderful nesting sites for cat birds- not my favorite bird and the argutas grow like mad, requiring frequent pruning until I solved the problem by removing them.

I’m happy for people who love them, they are interesting plants. They do require a degree of pruning skill- you have to be able to identify the wood they bear on and mercilessly remove most of the rest- I’m speaking of the types I’ve grown. I never had a female kiwi I couldn’t coax to fruit. My favorite was one frequently grown in Italy with red fruit, Rosanna or something like that. Sweet and beautiful.

3 Likes

Harvesting hardy kiwi now

y

4 Likes

Different types

6 Likes

Kiwibob Glansman has a female A. macrosperma, but not sure if he has a male. I can see if he can share some cuttings. I tasted a fruit he sent me once. While it may be interesting to hybridize with arguta (it’s tetraploid), it was not very good at all. Similar taste to A. polygama, but not quite as bad.

2 Likes

I recall it tasted like puke or something similar. I wonder why someone would want to grow it.

2 Likes

That would be great, i am trying to test it for various traits and see if i can use it as breeding stock.

2 Likes