Growing apple rootstocks, then grafting?

Yes, but only because I have an angel on my shoulder, I think. I have seen one or two places to buy bundles of 100, but only one place I could find to sell smaller numbers:

https://waldenheightsnursery.com/product-category/rootstocks/

Todd Parlo is the owner, nice guy, and he sold me (20) Ranetka, in 2021. Looking at the webpage today, I don’t see aany mention of Ranetka, but it won’t hurt to ask. He DOES have Baccata currently listed for sale though, I see. The trouble is, he’s in Walden, Vermont, and if he has any, he wouldn’t be able to get them shipped out until sometime in May. (I remember it was very late.)

The Ranetka root systems were unusual, compared to all the others I had seen, in that they all had a large tap root, along with all the other roots, and I wasn’t sure how much pruning I could do to the taproot(?) I am a beginner. I think some of them were twisted and curled backwards, and so deciding what to do…I may have cut some back farther than others, and yet all survived. I haven’t dug them up for transplanting yet, to see what the roots look like now, but perhaps I will take some pictures when I do, if not this year, then next.

I read the Ranetka and Baccata spend their first year or two developing their roots abd growing at a slower pace, compared to standard-sized tree rootstock like my B-118, and it appears to be just as I read. The first season, 2021, the B-118 grew taller the both Baccata and Ranetka. However, by the end of the second year, it appears as though the two are catching up in height, and in fact surpassing some, depending on the variety, perhaps, and other variables. Anyway, yes, the Ranetka and Baccata are “standard” trees, 25-35’ height, as I read, and both Zone #2, hardier than Dolgo, zone #3. I read the B-118 is hardier AND more productive than Antanovka, and I see a nursury in Alaska using B-118 rootstock. It grew a lot more vigorously on my gravelly, sandy, 8.3PH soil, than Antonovka by far. I think the PH must be too high for Antonovka(?)

How many Ranetka roots do you want? I may have a couple I could send, if you don’t have any luck with Todd Parlo. Let me know. The ground is still frozen here, and so I won’t be doing any digging for a while.

3 Likes

Oh,I was mostly just curious. Mabe a couple to try out. I am in zone 5, but it sounded like a tough tree so that is always intriguing. I am thinking I am going to plant all of my rootstock in the garden bed I used for vegetales two years ago. Sounds like it’s the thing to do. It’s sat fallow while I have been busy and away out of the country. I will send you a line in early April to see where I am at!

1 Like

Apparently I’m growing out some rootstock and grafting next year.
All the scionwood I have gotten so far this year has been strong sized, but I just got the last of my expected rootstocks (except the couple I ordered from Walden’s ^) and it’s tiny by comparison. I might be able to make some of it work this year, but I don’t like working that hard at it. (By tiny, I mean the package of ten was able to be left in my mailbox. With the door closed. Looks great. Last year a lot of my scion was so thin, but this year things went different. :frowning: )

No complaints, though. I went overboard again this year and it is the only thing that I’ve received that inspired me to raise an eyebrow, and it still looks nice and healthy.

I’ve only ordered a few things from Walden. I’ve loved it all. Somehow their plants feel like family to me when they arrive. Can’t say why. Must be a lot of love in Todd’s dirt. I’m looking forward to this year’s additions.

1 Like