Growing cherimoyas

I tried some Cherimoya (Annona Cherimola) fruits last year for the first time and they were delicious. After some reading, I realized although Cherimoya trees are high maintenance, they can be grown in my zone and with some care, they will survive and produce well. I also stumbled on to a FB group, made up of experienced local gardeners growing Annonas and they helped me with a wealth of knowledge that gave me confidence. I do see a few in this forum growing Cherimoyas, so I thought we can share everyone’s experience here.

First, I picked up a couple of trees from Lowes - Honey Heart and Chaffey in June last year. They are propagated by La Verne nursery.

I planted them soon and they immediately started showing signs of sun burn on the leaves. It could have been transplant shock, but they are also known to be sensitive to hot sun, so covered them with 50% shade cloth

They didn’t grow much all year and luckily the winter was mild as I gave up on protecting them again. But the recommendation is to use plastic cover or Christmas lights to add some heat during frosts (for the first year in the ground). After the danger of frost, I manually defoliated the trees and fertilized them with high phosphorus and potassium (3-12-12 GroPower). This is a trick to make them flower abundantly, which I picked up from the local Annona FB group.

The new growth came with a lot of flowers on both trees. The flower look like a miniature banana and interestingly has a strong smell of banana too when it opens.

Getting the flowers pollinated is probably the most labor intensive part. Like avocados, these flowers first open as female (closed) and then turn to male (open) the next day for a few hours before drying up. In their native habitat, these trees co-evolved with a beetle that pollinates these flowers. As you can expect, these critters are not present in Nor. Cal, so I have to take a soft paintbrush, tip the pollen from the male into a cup and stick them into the female flowers. This has to be done 1-2 hours before sunset when success rate is high. To top all of this off, these flowers open over a 1-1.5 month period instead of all at once like stone or pome fruits.

Female flower

The same one, opens up as male the next evening

Pollen collected from the males (the powdery stuff is the pollen, the relatively larger granules are anthers)

After all these steps, I finally see quite a few fruitlets :slight_smile: Chaffey has grown bigger, produced more flowers and got lot more fruits compared to Honey Heart.

Assuming they don’t drop off, I should be able to see some mature fruits next spring :crossed_fingers: I don’t plant to protect them anymore and should survive the conditions here unless we experience unprecedented heat or frosts.

19 Likes

Impressive dedication. I used to have a single cherimoya tree in Socal. It fruited on it’s own without any work on my part the first year or so. I had picked it up in a specialty nursery in San Diego. I wonder if it fruited after I left given what you mentioned.

I chose to go with pawpaws in norcal, hope they work out here.

3 Likes

From what I read in these forums, hand pollination is only needed here and not in So. Cal. However, commercial farmers in San Diego do HP as well to increase the yield on their trees.

2 Likes

I live in Belgium (Europe) and I had cherimoya for a few years growing in a pot in a non heated greenhouse. Winters get to cold here so it is impossible to grow them outside. When temp. drops to low ne

I live in Belgium (Europe) and I had cherimoya for a few years growing in a pot in a non heated greenhouse. Winters get to cold here so it is impossible to grow them outside. When temp. drops to low near freezing the leaves dry and drop but in spring the tree turns green again. Cherimoya fruited without any help here, no HP needed. I presume that carrion flies to the job as they do with pawpaw… we certainly have enough carrion flies

1 Like

Interesting. I did this style of pollination

https://youtu.be/YTaBVR-YrQc

So after pollination, I break off one of the petals to identify the flowers I already got to. I didn’t do a reliable controlled experiment, but I left a few unpollinated everyday and all of them fell off without fail.

2 Likes

We have two trees, an El Bumpo that fruits without hand pollination and a booth or pierce that hasnt fruited without it so will probably be removed. They do get “frost pruned” but are such vigorous growers it works well. I haven’t had any issues with sunburn and they have been in full sun since planted. A friend grows honeyhart and they are delicious, hope you enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks @Lids. My local FB group mentioned that sun protection is needed only for the first year in the ground. A few of us got these trees last year and for some the newly planted ones defoliated and died quickly. Could be just the heat wave in June.

I hear Cherimoya act like corns for cross-pollination. A friend showed different fruits (atleast the outside texture) on the same tree when pollinated with pollen from different varieties. Did you observe that in your trees?

The el bumpo is a la verne nursery graft and is actually a younger tree, i think in the ground about four years and fruiting two years. The booth or pierce was from a local nursery and im suspicious that it may not be grafted. I bought it before i knew enough to ask and despite being in the ground a year or two longer is far less vigorous. It made a handful of fruit two years ago but not since and the wildlife stole them. I have been reluctant to get rid of it without tasting the fruit but realistically wont be doing any hand polinating and it hasnt been a strong tree.

1 Like

First (and only) home grown cherimoya of the season. I LOVED it. Tasted as good as any I’ve eaten.

Unfortunately, my trees are weak and not growing much. I thought they dropped all their fruits but one survived. I’ll let them get established this year with compost and better watering schedule and not worry about making them fruit.

11 Likes

I just started cherimoya seeds last year and am entering my first winter with young plants. So far, so good. But we haven’t really had frost yet here in Napa. I have enough seedlings to leave unprotected to get a rough sense of what will die left unprotected at least in whatever weather this season brings. But so far I’m impressed with how tough these plants are. Some freshly sprouted seeds became damaged, losing the first true leaves, and the young plants were able to pull through, budding out from tiny stalks. I let them dry, I left them soggy, so far they are very robust. I’m feeling very hopeful. Cherimoya are wonderful fruits. It’ll be a real thrill if they thrive here.

1 Like

I think there is quite a bit of difference in vigor between seedling rootstocks. Of the two I planted, one grew like crazy and the other is just a few inches taller. So, I like your idea of starting from seedlings and only plant the most vigorous and frost hardy ones in the ground. Marta did something similar (not sure if thats what she was intending to do) - Gardening : Cherimoya selection experiment in Vacaville, open ground.

Something I learned recently about cherimoyas which surprised me - they behave like corn when cross-pollinated. You can see different fruits on the same branch looking completely different based on the pollen they were pollinated with. Photo from a friend’s tree from the Cherimoya group

7 Likes

Congratulations on your crop! Looks awesome!

I’ve heard that too but haven’t looked into it yet. If fruit flavor and quality are also affected it would be awesome to know what the prize male donor varieties are, though this may be a matter of preference.

I haven’t noticed too much difference in vigor. Pretty much all the seedlings I started in 1 gallon containers. I potted up 6 and those all grew way more than the ones left in 1 gallons. (Obviously, I’ve come to my senses, and potted up 6 more!) My intention is to graft a dozen or so varieties onto individual trees and over time scale down to a couple multi grafted trees. Along the way I expect to be evaluating vigor, hardiness, etc. as expressed by my preferences for the individual trees, thinking that I’ll like the best suited trees most and I’ll graft those ones up.

I tried atemoya in containers, got some luck. Tree grew to big for containers, had to abandon it. Have better luck with Jaboticaba, more happy with fruiting.

7 Likes

My brother grow one from the seed of a fruit he bought from a supermarket, I think he claimed he had 5 fruit from the tree. I never actually saw them. But cherrymoya seedlings are sprouting left and right from my compost, I had to remove them frequently, I don’t have space for them.

Did you like the taste of El Bumpo?

I might get a chance to buy some grafted Cherimoya and Atemoya shortly so I’m trying to scope out varieties for Z10 SoCal (Irvine).

Would love any other variety recs or suggestions.

Thanks!

Cherimoya is one of the ones I’m intrigued to grow but have yet to. I have a few annona seedlings, sugar apple and soursop; but no cherimoya yet. If only my greenhouse was twice as big, but who am I kidding it could be the size of a football field and I’d find a way to have no room left still.

Awesome to see y’all’s successes, interesting to stimulate flowers like that, good to know.

I liked El Bumpo a lot. The skin is very thin so it would never be one I’d expect to find in a store or even in local orchards. A neighbor grew honeyhart and that was great too!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll put those on my list. Any recs for Atemoyas by any chance?

I wish I did! I haven’t tried any but remember reading a blog from a local guy that grew African Pride and liked it if that’s helpful

1 Like