Growing different varieties of Guava

Thank you for that information! That makes me feel a little bit more comfortable knowing that they can be ok on the low 30’s. My other concern is about root frost because they’re in pots.

Your trees look really nice and healthy! What varieties are they?

really nice photos. Many of those posted seem to have thick rinds, those are the best tasting in my opinion(regardless of color). Makes me salivate, lol!

Thanks @Courtney and gorgeous trees!
@californicus - Thank you! wow, that is an awesome report - Now I want more Guava trees and no space!
@CA-Orchard - Wow! Awesome pics and trees!

You need to move a bit south! :wink:

1 Like

In order of images, Tropic Pink, Red Malaysian, and Asian Pink. In addition, we have Mexican Cream (probably 3 strains), Vietnamize White (3 strains), Ruby Pink, Allahabad and Larkana (not fruiting yet), white pear and some other unknowns.

Looking for Arabian and Egyptian to purchase (preferably) or trade air layers.

1 Like

The one I have fruiting right now it was supposed to be a Mexican Cream but turns out something else. I really was hoping for to be Mexican Cream. We’re happy with whatever it is but I’m still trying to find the Mexican Cream.

1 Like

I like to grow sub tropicals here in the north, but time and space is limited. The Guava’s look interesting but are too big to be practical. I did find in the same family Ugni molinae or the Chilean Guava. Which is more of a bush with the fruits being berry size. Much easier to grow here. I added one this spring. So it will be some time before I know if it can work here.
I was happy this year as I got my first pomegranate harvest. Only three of them, and they were small. But they were amazing in flavor. Better than the store examples I can obtain here.

Thats a really nice collection. What are you favorites interms of flavor and production?

I have never tried Chilean Guava. I should seek them out for a sample. I’d also recommend the lemon guava, Psidium cattleyanum var. littorale (not sure how you can prioritize it with your space constraints). They are listed as hardy for PNW (Z8?) and they have everything going for them except for the fruit size - flavor, soft seeds, productive, precocious, shade tolerant and bushy growth.

1 Like

Thanks Udhay!
Definitely investigating. I hope to expand indoor lighting in the future.

1 Like

I just bought a Thai and Taiwan Guava.Both are fairly hard and light green.Is this an appropriate time to eat them or should they be ripened on the counter?

1 Like

@Bradybb,
Picture?
Anyway, 99% of Thai people eat guavas when it is in a crunchy stage. We used to say only elderly eat guava when it is ripe and soft :laughing:

I see members here said their guavas are nice, ripe and soft, I smile. I have eaten soft ripe guavas, not my cup of tea.

The Taiwan Guava is the larger one on the left.Do most people eat the skin?

2 Likes

We eat guava with skin, at least, the ones grown and sold in Thailand. I would assume guava are similar everywhere.

Re. guavas in your pic, If it were me, I would eat the whole thing, skin and all.

2 Likes

Guavas sold in Indian markets around here are $4.99 a lbs, very pricey IMHO.

That’s about the price,they are here.I’ve never had them and wanted to try.

I like the ones that looks fresh and firm. That is how I eat guavas, crisp/crunchy and mildly sweet.

Ripe guavas are sweet and soft. They also have a stronger aroma when ripe.

Please note that the guava taken directly from the tree will ripen on the counter, the ones from the storse sometimes just wilt and shink. We usually eat the white type crunchy, with salt and red pepper mix.if it is too sour. The pink type can be eaten firm, but some people prefer them ripe and soft to increase the aroma, so they are usually home grown to get ripen properly.
Have fun tasting them. :wink:

1 Like

If I have to choose only one tree it would be the Mexican Cream if you get the right strain.

With many labels as MC, I see variation in size/shape distribution, strength of aroma, shape of leaves, texture … beyond normal even when age and conditions of trees are factored. The best I found is a tree in Ceres, CA whose owner got from an air layer from friend who got his from Central America. It has more % of round (vs elongated) fruits, red blush, brilliant yellow and white colors, excellent texture and aroma. I believe MC is a sort of hybrid and close cousin of Egyptian Baladi Guava (picture attached). The Baladi Guava share almost everything but sweeter and almost all round shape.

guava%20baladi

4 Likes

Looks really nice. I hear a lot about how nice MC is, but I haven’t tasted it yet. I should find a good one sometime. Have you grafted guavas? If successful, any tips? I tried late in the season (almost fall) and none of them leafed out.