Growing different varieties of Guava

There was an interesting discussion on an another forum on whether the tropical guava (the soft/creamy variety) really tastes sweet or just that it smells sweet and the taste is actually bland. I went out and picked a tree ripened Red Malaysian and measured its brix

This was not the sweetest fruit of the season but close to average. 13-14 brix is more than what I expected. For reference, my peaches were around 15 brix on average in early July (max of 19).

2 Likes

I love the smell of guavas. They don’t taste as good as they smell but I had a Mexican cream in ground in San Jose and would eat bunches off at a time.

3 Likes

Thats my experience as well. I haven’t tried Mexican Cream but I hear good reviews for that. I think Malaysian Red is the sweetest guava I’ve tasted.

3 Likes

I notice that these late ripening guavas become significantly sweeter and more flavorful after the first cold night in Nov, when the temp suddenly drops to < 40F. I should measure their brix before and after next time. These ones taste really good

4 Likes

I pick my very first guava from my guava tree! Couple years ago I acquired this guava tree, the one I thought was a Mexican Cream Guava! As it turns out is not the variety that I thought it was, so now I I would like to find out what variety is it.

But we’re happy with whatever it is, we love the flavor and texture, not many seeds !

7 Likes

Very gorgeous, congratulations! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Luis!

1 Like

The red beaumont guava I planted this year had a few fruits on it. I pinched most of them but let a couple to ripen. I harvested one of them today

The fruit lived up to its reputation of sour + sweet. This is probably the most acid I have tasted in a guava. The seeds are quite hard like most guavas.

6 Likes

3 Likes

I see you already bring yours inside, looks great by the way Courtney!

1 Like

7 Likes

@Courtney @Ruben what are your varieties? How do you like the flavor? Both of them look really good!

1 Like

Mexican guava…flavor is ok but they are quite fragrant. It is quite precocious though without much attention. I had pruned it to that height. It was a beast size before I got it inside.

2 Likes

This is purple araças and feijoas that I’m still picking…

Goiaba de pescoço that a friend gave me

3 Likes

The one is fruiting right now I don’t know what variety is it, a friend brought it to me from Florida.
I have another one that I just got this year, that one is Ruby guava but didn’t produce any fruit yet, hopefully next year!

2 Likes

Do you all know what is the coldest the guavas can take?

I have mine in pots inside a hoop house with no heating and I’m wondering if they would be ok there or should I need to bring them in the house.

So far the lowest has gotten in temperatures is 30’s while inside the hoop house is 40 degrees but I’m concerned about that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

1 Like

We have older trees (2+ years) exposed to temperature dips below 30’ for short time and no damage whatsoever (Fremont, CA). Still growing and giving fruits. Some give fruits till April. Younger trees need to be beside a wall to avoid damage.

Here are pictures taken few days ago. We had cold nights in November below 30’.

6 Likes

@Courtney - Your potted guava looks great! How long have you had it in a pot? What size is your pot? How many fruits do you get in 1 year from this potted tree? Looks fabulous!

1 Like

@Girly you may find this useful

Guavas-Bayarea-Aug2020-v5.1.pdf (3.5 MB)

4 Likes

I wanted to say, maybe it is about 3 yo or 4 but I’m not sure. The info is in my planner in a drawer at work now. I’m not allowed access to my work space until we are officially able to return to work. I have exact dates and where I purchased them. In terms of how many, less than 10? I snipped some off before I brought it in from my deck. I think the pot is about 10 gal size. It has 2 south windows on it.

1 Like