Most fragrant fruits you have grown or know

Is the seeding still alive ?

yes, and just as fragrant as the parent.

3 Likes

For me? Peaches.

1 Like

I was gong by what I’ve grown. If I go beyond that the most assertive fruit fragrance that comes to mind is durian. That one is hard to beat, and not in a good way.

We also get wild strawberries that grow in our forest clearing, that are tiny, and soft, and don’t have as strong a flavor as I’d expect. But when they are just a bit overripe - the fragrance in our back yard can be strong. It’s a sweet, perfumed, fruity smell.

Another thing I’ve noticed: I use my brush hog behind my Kubota to clear brush and weeds, a lot of it thick blackberry brambles. The smell of mulched blackberry vines is very sweet, even when not in flower or fruit. While the smell of Tansy Ragwort, not so inviting.

edit: can also really tell when I’ve gone over a patch of lemon balm.

2 Likes

@Grace1 - Here is a pic of my tree and the label on it… I do not know if it is the same as Malaysian Magenta Guavas or Indian Red

@californicus posted a great document on different types of Guavas and there may be even better ones than mine. Let me find that link and I’ll post it below shortly

5 Likes

@Grace1 here is the post from @californicus
The pdf is very useful.

1 Like

I am trying two new black currants that I have never seen nor heard of before but the reviews are excellent. One is Neva the other Andega. I will let you know! Do you have them in the States? Mine currently in tight bud.

1 Like

never heard of them. its sad that it takes almost 30yrs for new cultivars to make it from other parts of the world to the U.S.

2 Likes

i have to mention mara des bois, alpine and wild strawberries. the smell is awesome esp. if your picking them on a warm day. for a northern fruit the smell/ taste is hard to beat! they are harder to pick but well worth it. when i have too many to pick myself, i offer my neighbors boys to pick them. the ones they dont eat , they bring home to their mother.

1 Like

Thank you so much! This is very helpful! I am looking for this variety now. :slight_smile: I appreciate you sharing the article as well. I will check it out now. Have a great weekend!

1 Like

what breeding program do they hail from Mrsg?

This is the best I can do for now. Neva is: Ribes nigrum NEVA ‘Chereshneva’.

And Andega is by: Bernard Lantin, INRA d’Angers. What is interesting about both of these black currants is that they are self pollinating, but the Andega is supposedly sweet enough to be eaten fresh. I will let you know. They are both large enough and old enough to have fruit this summer. We shall see. The berries are supposedly very large. The Andega is related is a pollinator for Noir de Bourgogne.

1 Like

I replied in the post above. Sry.

1 Like

Neva is from the Ukraine and. Andega is from France. Whewwwww those are the facts quite simply.

1 Like

Hi! My choices are: 1) Muscat of Alexandria grape 2) Platicarpa peach. 3) “Bloody” orange.

12 Likes

Beautifull and yummy! :yum:

1 Like

my Tiben b. currant is pretty good off the bush and has bigger berries. i believe its swedish bred.

1 Like

The Neva is from the Ukraine. There are great currants in Sweden and they drink tons of black currant juice.

2 Likes

I just finished a grocery-store Ataulfo mango from Mexico. (off season i know, but they were on a big sale and i couldn’t resist!)
It was fabulously sweet, flavorful, and fiberless. In other words, perfectly ripe.

Prior to cutting it, it had no fragrance whatsoever :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Muscadines are one of the fruits I wish were just a touch hardier, so I could try them in New Hampshire.

1 Like