Most fragrant fruits you have grown or know

did you mean star apple?

In Vietnam it is call Trai Ly. May be it is not Rose apple but very sweet and fragrance.

download (1)

5 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 ,
Are these the same as yours? Found it on a Thai website. The name of this rose apple literally translated “ fragrant water”. Never seen them in any market but some people grow them.

6 Likes

My dad had a Rose apple tree and it was so good. I used to have a bowl of the fruits on my study desk just for that rose fragrance.

3 Likes

i see now, rose apple, aka wax apple or jambu.

there’s a farm in florida that sell it, kind of pricey. It better be the that of superior cultivars, considering the price!

Interesting, the Rose apples I know have very little fragrance. It is a bell shape and have no big seeds inside. Very delicate flavor(some people may find it blend) and flash is tender. Not look like the ones in Tippy’s picture. The color is deep pink to red. There might be other colors though but the shape of the fruits is different.

1 Like

there are quite a number of cultivars(many of which unnamed), and there are also many species-- of the genus Syzygium. I agree many are bland and almost scentless, but some are quite fragrant and sweeter than others, especially when fully ripe.

2 Likes

These are varieties grown in Thailand. The first 7 varieties are “general”. The rest are “”popular” because of their superior taste and texture, meaning meaty, crunchy and sweet.

1 Like

You can see Egyptian mango varieties on the website of a nursery in Palm Beach, FL tropicalacresfarms.com. They list at least a dozen Egyptian mango cultivars. Mangoes are a big industry in Egypt

1 Like

thanks for sharing @chriso . That nursery sure has a strong list, and glad to see Egypt producing their own cultivars. Being able to grow a foreign fruit commercially is by itself an achievement, but producing novel cultivars in Egypt is at least as remarkable since the species is a relatively new introduction, considering that it isbeing grown outside of its “tropical comfort zone”

Spend years in Indonesia, Bali, Timor, Semarang, Lawang, Surabaya. Been sightseeing and spend time on that big, big,big Temple Borobudur. I still don’t know how they were able to built it, massssssive!
Open market in Samarang is super big, live in this town for 3 years( Djalang Tangsi), wonder if the house is still there.

Wow!
How many chill hours are required for Evas Pride? I love peaches , When I was like 5 my Mom and Dad used to go to California and stay in a camp in Atwater and I still remember the yellow keeps and the fields of peaches they had thier, we would eat so many that out tummy had to interviene :joy::joy:.

1 Like

What a great post! Thank you! Are the Red Malaysian Guavas the same as Malaysian Magenta Guavas? … or Indian Red?.. I found these online and am wondering which one ,if any, you have. Thanks!

https://www.google.com/search?q=growing+red+malaysian+guava+in+northern+california&client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=ALeKk009u-VOB4uvYzOY_znLMQ5BOIf2aw:1614210814221&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1-LHx24PvAhWFsJ4KHUecDLIQ_AUoA3oECBEQBQ&biw=1077&bih=660&dpr=2#spd=16474247177367081674

1 Like

yep - you can smell a ripe marang in a tree from quite a distance - definitely a “stinker!”
but ohhhhhhhh so tasty.

I found a peach tree growing on the side of the road about 30 years ago that was arguably the most fragrant peach I’ve ever seen. A bag of these small 1.25 inch diameter peaches would make the entire house smell like the most divine peach fragrance imaginable. That tree is long dead, but I dug up one of the seedlings and planted it at my home. Such memories.

6 Likes

Is the seeding still alive ?

yes, and just as fragrant as the parent.

3 Likes

For me? Peaches.

1 Like

I was gong by what I’ve grown. If I go beyond that the most assertive fruit fragrance that comes to mind is durian. That one is hard to beat, and not in a good way.

We also get wild strawberries that grow in our forest clearing, that are tiny, and soft, and don’t have as strong a flavor as I’d expect. But when they are just a bit overripe - the fragrance in our back yard can be strong. It’s a sweet, perfumed, fruity smell.

Another thing I’ve noticed: I use my brush hog behind my Kubota to clear brush and weeds, a lot of it thick blackberry brambles. The smell of mulched blackberry vines is very sweet, even when not in flower or fruit. While the smell of Tansy Ragwort, not so inviting.

edit: can also really tell when I’ve gone over a patch of lemon balm.

2 Likes

@Grace1 - Here is a pic of my tree and the label on it… I do not know if it is the same as Malaysian Magenta Guavas or Indian Red

@californicus posted a great document on different types of Guavas and there may be even better ones than mine. Let me find that link and I’ll post it below shortly

5 Likes