Most fragrant fruits you have grown or know

A properly ripened mango is perhaps the most wonderful fragrance in all the world. One of the main things I miss about growing up in Miami, tbh…

5 Likes

I would have to say June Pride peach and Mangoes. The aroma of fresh ripening June Pride peaches are hard to beat. Eva’s pride is very fragrant as well, producing excellent early peaches. When you walk by a June Pride peach tree with ripe fruit it has the most fragerent fruit of all my stone fruit. It screams pick me!! The aroma of Mangoes is also up front!! The blossoms smell just like the fragrant fruit!! And the fruit is Heavenly!!

14 Likes

i’ve never been to Egypt, and while am aware tropical fruits can be grown there, was so delighted to see guavas and mangos being grown there in large enough quantities to be able to export! I am not Egyptian, but for some reason find myself beaming with pride and joy to see mango nectars and guava nectars(from Egypt) being sold in a Latino store here in las vegas. Who wou’d have known that Egypt has been growing it in commercial quantities that it is now competitively priced vs mango and guava products from Mexico and the rest of so. america?! Egyptian agri- operations must be so efficient and extremely productive to even compete with our next-door neighbors. Actually pointed it out to a would-be Latino buyer who was herself impressed. Tried these, btw, and they are just as good as Kern’s nectars from MX :slight_smile:
below are the bottles, hopefully the Product of Egypt label is visible enough

3 Likes

If you are not restricted to fruit only… try slow drying some herbs inside… dill weed will smell up a room for months while drying.

Did that last year

TNHunter

You must be eating them before they ripen. Even grocery story mangos, when left to ripen, give off a beautiful mouth watering scent.

1 Like

For me quince definitely is the most fragrant fruit if ever grown or smelled.

A few laying in the windowsill or fruit bowl. will make the whole house smell amazing. the smell mainly develops when they ripen. So if you live in a climate that has colder winters. you can store late ripening quince for months in the shed. And ripen a few inside every few weeks.

In colder climates quince will ripen to develop flavor. But the texture will not be good for fresh eating. Eating it will make your mouth feel dry. And something like a mouth feel like between bitter sour and astringent. (hard to describe)

However cooking with quinces is amazing. The tastes and aromas!!

I have read that quinces in warmer climates ripen to be tasty fresh. Looking at the fresh eating varieties, they all seem to ripen early. So temperature during tree ripening seems important.

Quince can be sensitive to fire blight. From what i read this seems to be mainly due to it’s later flowering than apples/pears. However i remember reading somewhere it was not more susceptible to artificial shoot inoculations than most apples. So if you get through the flowering you might be okay. In Germany they have some experience growing quince. And in these documents they rated different varieties for fire blight resistance. And other attributes

https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&tl=en&op=docs (to translate)

3 Likes

I think the most fragrant fruit i grow is pawpaw

2 Likes

@jujubemulberry Raf, Thanks a lot for your kind words about my home country… Yes, in Egypt we have excellent mangoes and citrus (other fruits too, but these two stand out). The climate in most of Egypt is very dry, similar to California and Arizona, and the temperature almost never drops below freezing; hence, very low disease pressure, very high quality fruit and no frost damage. It also has the Nile, so enough water for cultivating a very large area of land. Sadly, and without going into too much politics, Egypt has been governed by, dictator presidents and corrupt politicians for the past 70 years, so there is a lot of poverty, and poverty provides plenty of very cheap labor, and hence the ability to have very low cost production… I wish it was because of efficient production/cultivation systems.

7 Likes

Guess what kind of jam I’m going to make tomorrow??? Right now the kitchen smells like an orchard!!! Thank you Mexico for your great guavas!

6 Likes

I have to agree with you. Once in Cambodia I left half a durian in the room fridge and I thought the hotel owner would kill me because the smell left the fridge and got in the room. Accident happen especially when you love durians… Marc

2 Likes

Cali and Az can produce some mangos, from outlier trees few and far in-between. Definitely not on a commercial scale, so Egypt must be more conducive to the “queen” of fruits

that is sad to hear, Ahmad. I didn’t know that…
i grew up in southeast asia, and unfortunately the same story there

the thing about mangos is the trees can be productive for many decades in extreme heat and tolerant of drought, and bear highly nutritious and economically promising fruits–sold by the piece and not by the pound. I hope your fellow Egyptians are at least allowed to grow some in their own backyards… Guavas are another super-fruit, providing more vitamin c than oranges, and one of the few fruits that provide omega-3 in substantial amounts(per pound). Literally brain-food, which should help counter poverty.
anyway, before i drift away from the subject matter, here is a thick-rinded white guava from Mexico. It is fragrant all right, and so refreshing!

4 Likes

Ahmad Was Anward Sedat a good leader. I remember his Assassination

i would say durian, jackfruit, and marang are the most fragrant of fruits. To some, if not the majority-- the word odoriferous is more appropriate an adjective, lol

The year before last, I made mango pineapple jam to sell at the farmers market that we sold at. I had samples out and would offer it to customers as they walked pass. I have to say about 75% of the time after someone tasted it, they bought a jar. I even had people say “That is the best tasting jam that I have ever tasted in my life!” lol Needless to say, it was my best seller. Enjoy your jam! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are soooooo many possible jam combinations… Do you do it with Ataulfo or red mangoes? The only time I did pineapple jam, the oxydation process took a toll at the jam color… I will remember to add some ascorbic acid this time… Marc

1 Like

M-A-R-A-N-G???

Why on Earth I did not hear that fruit name before??? And I thought I was knowledgeable in the (exotic) fruits department… Sound like I need a refresh in that field… Please tell me where on Earth did you eat THAT. Fruit? Marc

1 Like

i grew up in the philippines, where, at its southern portion, shares plenty of flora with borneo and malaysia. Of all tropical figs, marang is the best in my opinion, although champedak and many types of jackfruit are quite close. And it is definitely the most fragrant(to me at least) of the bunch, deserving being christened the species “odoratissimus” . Evidently the latin word for smelly, haha
marang’s flesh is softer than champedak and jackfruit, and sweeter. Just typing this makes my mouth water(for all three of them!) If we get to be billionaires(fat chance, lol), will build a greenhouse to grow tropicals here in las vegas, and these giant figs will surely be allotted some square footage :slight_smile:

as with durian and jackfruit, people are quite inclined to take selfies with the strong-scented beauties

2 Likes

Philippines… that is why I did not notice/heard about this fruit before. Never been to the P but would like very much so. As for Indonesia: it sits right on the equator and I would die in about 10 minutes if I were to go there: the heat!!! But since I want to visit dearly Borobudur before I die I guess I don’t have the choice… So P and then Indo. Sounds just right! Marc

1 Like

if you’re going just go straight to the provinces and not via manila, if possible. Btw, am sure Indonesia has marang too, perhaps on the islands closer to Malaysia.

Breadfruit, which is another fig cousin found in indonesia, philippines, and malaysia, is similar to marang but is more starchy and far less aromatic. It is delicious cooked with coconut milk. Or simply just baked as is.

Jack fruit and Rise apple are pretty fragrance.