Most fragrant fruits you have grown or know

gorgeous!

2 Likes

Mine is supposedly Sweet Scarlet…

My wife and kids agree, it doesn’t have a wafting fragrance.

Scott

I don’t think European black currants will work in our area (need higher chill). Buffalo currant (Crandall) and the native golden currants should fruit well. I haven’t tasted the latter but Crandall doesn’t have the expected “musky” flavor. Planted a couple last year but they struggled in our Aug/Sep heat

1 Like

Interesting thread. I agree the passion fruit is very fragrant. I grow Snow Queen nectarine but I have never associated it with fragrant fruits for most peaches/nectarines have nice peachy fragrance. But it is always one of best tasting peach/nectarine.
I have goumi for many years, Red Scarlet? bought either from raintree or OGW. But I have never smelled any fragrance from the flowers. Although it is planted in a corner, I might not be there at the right time to smell the fragrance if the scent is wafting after sunset. But I definitely curious enough to smell the flowers this spring.
I love the fragrance of black currants, unique, and pleasant.

crandall clove currants have great smelling blossoms also. someone on here gets theirs to fruit in s. cal. in z10a.

1 Like

Absolutely, very strong clove smell. I mentioned the fruit didn’t have a lot of complexity

2 Likes

I didn’t think much of Crandall flavor, but also think red and white currents are uninteresting. I really like black currant flavor.

4 Likes

Red currants makes beautiful currants wine

3 Likes

Crandall fruits for me here on the Bay Area coast, also zone 10a. It makes a nice jam.

1 Like

thanks Jerry. i forgot your handle.

Quinces are certainly on the top of the list, that beautiful fragrance throughout the house is unbeatable.

5 Likes

A lot of people talk about the fragrance of peaches, citrus and Mara Des Bois. While I have yet to smell the peach blossoms I could never smell the Mara Des Bois and I literally have a mandarin tree blooming in my room right now and cannot smell it.

We are talking about the fruits, especially the peach fruit’s fragrance. Not sure about your mandarin blossoms, but many citrus blossoms are very fragrant, ie lemon blossoms, kumquat blossoms, and budashand blossoms just to name a few that I grow.

Yeah even my Mara Des Bois were not very fragrant.

1 Like

Mangoes!!!

2 Likes

I have to add my votes for quince and black currants. I love both. I have some black currant cuttings that came in the mail and made the house smell amazing when I opened the package. Never had a variety do that before, so hope they do well. I wish I could get quince to grow here, never found a decent variety for sale nearby.

1 Like

2 fruits that I always smell when i can get them: Pomelos and Starfruit.
I used to grow both, but I don’t live in FL anymore. Starfruit aren’t too complex but they do smell nice when ripe and my kids absolutely love them.

I agree about passion fruit and mangoes too. Especially certain homegrown mango varieties.

1 Like

Uncut?

Yes. I usually pick my mangoes mature but not ripe, to be ripened indoors. After about a week, the room they’re in becomes filled with the sweet aroma of ripening mangoes, and that’s when I go “apes” (pun intended, because we’re fruit-loving apes after all!!!)

5 Likes

makes more sense if they’re fresh-picked…my grocery store mangos never smell like anything :broken_heart:

1 Like