Growing edamame

Any one here grow soy? I’m interested in it for sure. Is it a summer bean like Blackeyes or Purple Hulls? I start those all the time in the dead of summer in Texas and they do great. Does edamame have good heat tolerance like that? Gonna need to replant some of my boxes at my Urban Farm after harvesting onions is done. Didn’t find much about this in the online searches I did so I figured I would try here. Thanks for any advice!

Drew

1 Like

Do they grow soybeans as a commodity crop down there? If so, then you are probably fine. Maybe one of the folks here that knows more about soy farming will chime in.

I honestly don’t know. When I Googled it nothing came up. Most growers I know of use Cowpea types. I suppose I could just plant more of those but it would be nice to have soy as well.

I mentally put soy and cow peas in the same growing category. I haven’t grown commodity crops or anything, but I know that I have seen fallow green mulch soy fields being used here in NC in the summer.

Incidentally, are you searching for soy or edamame? Google had several articles matching “soy texas heat tolerant”.

You know I think I was searching edamame. If they are growing well in NC I imagine they would work in Dallas. That is super helpful misterguy! Thanks for the post.

Drew

It looks like it’s just going to be a drought tolerance issue, but the heat is fine. I am definitely not an expert but it looks like you will just need a watering regiment and you will do well.

An I have them on a drip system and have to due to the nature of the boxes and growing on asphalt. I think I’m going to give it a shot. Thanks!

Drew

Edamame has been really easy to grow for me through the middle of the summer in this heat and humidity. I rotate it in after sweet corn. It has done fine with just the bare minimum of watering. The flavor is so much better than blackeye peas in my opinion. I love the blackeye peas with the bacon and all that, but anything that requires that much work and bacon to be any good to eat is just not worth it for me. With edamame I just boil it for 5 min and it is ready to go with just a little salt. Much much easier when the kiddos are hungry and cranky.

Wild, we grow edamame in our garden (non-commercial)–about 60 row feet each year.[SW Ohio–hot and humid] It’s very easy to freeze fresh and serve throughout the year: boil quickly in the pods, salt, and serve during cocktail hour. It’s a long-period crop (many days to maturity). Our only problem is keeping the seeds safe in the days following planting. A mole or vole burrows directly down the row and destroys each seed.

We grow them too. Different from a regular soybean, much larger beans. We use them as a catch crop for rabbits, living rabbit magnets. Early morning or dusk and you will find rabbits.

1 Like

Great stuff guys thank you! I’ll let y’all know how I do.

Drew

@marc5
It’s very high in protein everything wants them. Like lentils they are a staple diet for vegetarians. Just so everyone else is aware don’t eat raw,soy it can lead to blindness and worse. Cooking soy is absolutely necessary for livestock and us.

Soybeans are best adapted to warm but not overly hot summer temperatures. They won’t set well in temps above the mid-90s, and probably not at all in triple digits. But they are widely grown in Texas.

Soybean flowering is triggered by day length (actually night length, but everybody calls it day length), and different varieties have different day length thresholds. So you need varieties that are adapted to your latitude and planting time. In Texas that means there are some varieties adapted for Spring sowing, and some suitable for planting mid summer to flower and set fruit as nights lengthen significantly in the fall. I would think your Texas extension service would have suggestions for varieties.

One thing to be mindful of, depending on your situation, is that edamame soybeans are manna for both rabbits and deer. We literally have to net them from the time they emerge until harvest to get any beans for ourselves.