Growing Etrog citrus?

Someone asked me about growing Etrog citrus in a z6a. She explained that they are symbolic in Jewish tradition. But I don’t know anything about them. Can anyone advise?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

I recently had a friend give me a small Etrog plant. They kept the original outside in the summer and inside in the winter (in Virginia). As far as I can tell, you would have to grow in a citrus growing zone to have it survive outside of a pot.

1 Like

Also, I haven’t seen the fruit yet. But from my research, it’s sort of like a lemon that is mostly rind (very little juice and interior section). It’s a nice looking plant though.

1 Like

Yes, it’s very weird looking but considered very holy. I need to buy 4 for a Bar Mitzvah, They must be Kosher, so no grafting allowed - it must be own root - and I’m seeing a lot of grafted ones for sale.

Yeah, I think because of those details the one I have is on it’s own roots (propagated from a cutting).

I think you can find some seed grown or cutting grown ones online too. Try places like Etsy or eBay.

I found some on Etsy. But the fellow was unable (or unwilling) to tell me the variety or even where the fruit came from. After doing more research, if you want to do it absolutely correctly, you must get seed from a tree that was supervised by a Rabbi and was grown following halakhah agricultural laws. Down the rabbit holes I went.