Growing Feijoa in the Seattle Area

Very encouraging. I have Mammoth, I need to put some more growth on mine.

Not huge. Large chicken egg size. I think that is partly my fault for not irrigating.

Mine started to fruit in year 4. I had a seedling fruit in year 2 but only 2 fruit. They are now on year 5 and a good bushy 4’ tall and wide.

1 Like

There is a fellow a few blocks away from me in PDX who has a Mammoth, his get in the 2 to 3-ounce range, or large egg-size.

1 Like

Harvested Nikita tonight. Small fruit. Smaller than an egg. Fully delicious though. Ate the whole thing including flesh and the flesh was great! No graininess at all.

3 Likes

Usually eating a complete fruit is described as “…ate it peel and all”,
implying that fruit peels are not the preferable part of the fruit.

Did you prefer the feijoa peel to its flesh?

To me, the skin added to the flavor. Wouldn’t say I preferred it to the flesh but added to the flavor.

2 Likes

Decided I’d move this discussion to a more specific thread!
So how long do you think that might take to happen? It’s about 4 weeks out now and so far they look pretty good, no leaf drop yet and mostly seem healthy looking:

A few spots have what looks like minor frost damage on leaves, but so far at least the bush hasn’t dropped them:

1 Like

Looks like some bronzing there, so they have been affected. At 4 weeks out post-freeze, just shake a branch and if no | few green leaves fall, you will be fine. I haven’t seen significant leaf drop here, even after recent hard east winds. We had 21 degrees twice during the cold spell.

The major difference in this Portland winter cold spell compared to most was no sunshine and high humidity and little breeze. The same 21 degrees with sun, low humidity, and drying winds would have caused leaf burning and drop on many semi-hardy broadleaf evergreens.

2 Likes