Looks like a hard freeze is incoming for western WA lowlands

I got about 2".

Looks like you were a touch colder than me.

1 Like

Thank you for this detailed report! I’ll have to wait at least another week before I can give my full assessment, but one of my neighbors sent a few photos today. It looks like 100% dieback to ground level on the seedling avocados (as expected), but a couple appear to show green at ground level, so hopefully they can make it to spring and regrow from the roots. Here’s a seedling of Mexicola Grande:

IMG_20220106_175319~2

This 1.5 year old seedling of the International District loquat tree seems totally unfazed:

IMG_20220106_175319~3

5 Likes

Here in Battle Ground it has been raining like crazy, and mild. Five inches in a few days. Good weather for garden and orchard chores between rains. Not in mud but other places. Only bud swell Im noticing in my garden so far is Lilacs, not my fruit trees yet.

2 Likes

That loquat looks great. Wishing you luck on the other stuff.

1 Like

Just got back as the light was fading this evening, so couldn’t do as much of a survey as I wanted, but I walked around quickly and snapped a few photos. Will need to do a more thorough check on things in the morning.

Some types of plants that I thought might be harmed seem entirely unfazed (loquat, ubajay, luma, feijoa, Chilean guava for the most part). All three species of so-called hardy banana look totally dead.

As for the avocados, I’m happy to see that it looks like the hardy ones that are in the ground were protected enough by the snow that they have a few inches of life above ground level, but are basically totally dead above that. Here are a few:

1 Like

So sad to see those brown leaves but better this year than after 5 years of doting care. Maybe we’re good for another 30!

2 Likes

Finished inspecting the yard and it’s mostly good news. Almost every avocado seems alive at least an inch above the soil line, and a number of other “zone pushing” species seem ok even on parts that weren’t under the snow.

For example, my two Myrcianthes pungens seedlings seem almost untouched:

Feijoa looks totally fine even on the newest growth:

My Jubaea chilensis seedling also seems virtually untouched:

Some avocados even seem to have leaves that survived almost unscathed due to snow cover:

First-year Joey (avocado) graft looks like most of the stems survived fine, despite being on Hass seedling rootstock:

3 Likes

After cold temps, feijoa leaves may lose their slight gloss and can take several weeks to drop, while remaining totally green.

2 Likes

Now that the season is further along I am seeing the full extent of damage.
Loquat is still largely looking fine. Not much damage.
Of my many Luma Apiculata cultivars, 2 look fine but several look to be dead to the snow line when the cold hit.
All of my seedling Ugni Molinae are cut down to below the snow line. They died to the roots. There is life in the roots. What is interesting is Flambeau is by far the least damaged. Several other named cultivars like Villarica Strawberry, Burbank, Jim Gerdemann all survived with less damage than the seedlings but still lost most of the top growth. My seedlings were well established 3’ tall and wide with 1/2" caliper branches and those branches are toast so 7 degrees will smoke the average established Ugni.
One big surprise was in my pomegranates. I had a 6 year old Granada that has good caliper wood. 1" +. It died to the ground. What surprised me was I also have a young 2 year old Haku-Botan that’s wood survived all the way to the tiny tips. This one is known for fruiting in the PNW and I wonder if part of its secret is in the cold hardiness as well as early fruiting.

Butia Odorata Jelly Palm’s “trunk” appears to be fine. All small fronds are toast but as you approach the center, it looks fine.

Luma Chequen did better than many of the other Luma Apiculata right next to them.

Feijoa look to all be mostly defoliating where there was no snow cover. They all still have a healthy green cambium but are going to struggle to regain the lost leaves.

Don’t think I lost anything entirely but I will certainly lose a crop from many of these and will need a few mild winters to regain the biomass lost.

2 Likes

Feijoa subject to teen temps should leaf out normally by June.
Of more interest would be a bloom this year if the plant(s) had bloomed previously.

1 Like

last year we had our 1 gal potted hass avacado seedlings outside to test the hardiness they were roughly 2 ft tall in the summer and had died back to 6-12 inches similar to your in ground trees and spring they leaf out.

2 Likes

Update on my previous observations:

Loquat took a long time to show damage but is now dropping leaves. Still some of the trunk is alive but much of the top growth is toast.

All of my Luma are a mixed bag. Some microclimates that I thought would do well are fully dead to the snow line but there are a few that have little damage. One is a cultivar Nahuel Haupe Hardy that shows almost no damage but was also in one of the most protected sites.

Still all of my Ugni’s appear dead to the lowest branches except Flambeau and Villarica Strawberry. They are both looking fine.

All of my pomegranates lost all top growth except Haku-Botan that is leafing out to the tip of the tiny growth. Very surprised! They are all coming back from the base but will have a lot of recovery to do.

Butia Odorata has slowly gone black. Don’t think there is any life left.

Luma Chequen still looks decent. Where it lost leaves it is replacing and will look fine. Not much woody damage but may be microclimate.

All Feijoa lost 75+% of the leaves but all show new growth and not much woody damage. Pretty good at 7 degrees!

Opuntia cacanapa Ellisiana is doing fine. Some small pads have browning on the edges but larger pads are showing new growth.

2 Likes

I might have a slightly warmer microclimate.
Loquats got severely damaged here – but not by cold. Rabbits and rats destroyed several young trees by girdling them. The older trees were partway girdled. I am not sure if they will survive long term. They are definitely leafing out. Seattle area has a horrible rabbit problem.

My pomegranates were killed to the ground but are coming back. I see no point in growing them here as we dont have enough heat units. Even if we did, poms ripen in fall when it is rainy here. They will split and rot in our climate.

Feijoas are the bright spot amidst the winter carnage. Rabbits leave them alone. They also seem to have shaken off the cold with minimal damage. A few varieties even thrive in our cold. Nikita seems to be a winner with tons of growth. Arhart and Abbadabba are other notable mentions and have even started flower buds inspite of the terrible cold. But I doubt we will see fruit at the rate our spring is proceeding.

The New Zealand varieties (other than Arhart) are quite a ways behind.

2 Likes

Good to hear your loquats were not damaged by cold - but so sad about the girdling! What a heartbreak.

In your ‘slightly warmer microclimate’ what was your low for this winter? Based on your low, I’ll know how much protection to give my more northerly inground trees. From @swincher 's pictures of Int’l District tree, it seems they withstood Seattle’s low without damage.

1 Like

Unfortunately I wasn’t home during the late Fall early winter period this year to measure anything.
Loquats I believe will take 10F quite easily. I think they are hardier than figs actually.
But the problem is they are evergreen and quite attractive to critters in winter.

2 Likes

Thanks. Will keep their food value in mind!

I have issues with rabbits as well. I make short rings of chicken wire and put them around young plants until the bark hardens after a couple years and then they seem to leave them alone. I’ve had to do this with all of my prunus, malus, and a few other young trees. They don’t seem to bother some other things like the blueberries, elderberries, aronia, honeyberries.

I’ve been very shocked at how resilient the feijoas have been as some of mine have gotten to be 8’ tall X 6’ wide and I thought this cold would cut them back to the ground but really it just barely damaged the wood. They did defoliate but that is not the end of the world. Of the subtropical plants I grow, they seem to be the most practical long term.

I agree that the Poms are not practical here. It is interesting to me that Haku-Botan was so unfazed by the cold that even though I may not get regular fruit, this cultivar being that it doesn’t seem to get damaged by the cold, in the odd hot year (by Seattle’s standards) may get some fruit. Probably not likely but for sure the most probable of the ones I’ve tried.

2 Likes

Rabbits here are aggressive! They girdled my apple trees by stripping the bark off. Blueberries have not been spared. They were cut clean to the ground. I lost nearly 100% of my young fig trees. The old large ones were not spared either. They attempted to strip the bark but gave up after a while.

I agree that feijoas appear to be the most suitable for our climate in terms of survival atleast.
Do you think you will get fruit this season? I have some varieties that are just starting to bud out. If it stays warm, they will be in full bloom only by mid July. That may be too late for fruit.
So far I have flower buds on Arhart, Nikita, Abbadabba, 8ball and Takaka.
None of my seedlings have any flowers. Maybe a few more years.

Sounds like you’ve got quite the aggressive rabbits! I really doubt I’ll get fruit. I don’t see any buds on any of them at this point. I know I’m cooler than Seattle and this cool spring isn’t helping. I did get fruit last year but we had some extreme heat for a bit and maybe that might make it happen but that extreme heat is very rare. My New Zealand cultivars are all too tiny. None of my established plants show blooms yet. :frowning:

1 Like

That happened with one of my three seedlings, but it looked almost like a bacterial or fungal issue rather than delayed frost damage, because the new growth seemed impacted too at first. But now it seems to be growing out of it with healthy new growth, so maybe it really was just dropping the leaves and shoot tips that got injured over the winter.

1 Like