Growing Improved groundnuts?!?

anyone growing improved Apios americana ? I’ve not herd back from Oikos about their availibility and I would really love to grow these things.

1 Like

Howdy-

I’m also keen on acquiring some of the improved varieties from the old LSU breeding program. They’re not very available it seems. I know that someone- forgetting who exactly— took possession of most or all of those accessions after the demise of the LSU program. Someone on the forum owns a nursery that sells them, I believe. Perhaps it’s Peaceful Heritage Nursery (I forgot the owner’s handle here) Oikos is no longer, btw, though as the owner, Ken Asmus has retired.

3 Likes

There’s a thread here with some members who say they are growing them:

2 Likes

thanks all,
once again I find myself back on the peaceful heritage site. They’re a great nursery.
I’ll check the forum and check the podcast too!

I’ve got two of them, with perhaps some seedlings mixed in. They are vigorous and easy to grow, and produce a lot. Beautiful later season flowers. Never been able to figure out how to cook them in a way that I like. They have a very strong bean flavor. This year I’m going to try chopping them into bean sized pieces and using in a stew with lots of ot vegetables and some beef. If you want any tubers I can ship them this fall after the first hard frost.

3 Likes

lets make it happen! What do you need on my end?

Are they different than the ones sold here? Ground Nuts | Sow True Seed I’m keeping my eye on when they restock.

1 Like

These seem promising too. I’ve joined their mailing list so hopefully I dont miss em this year.

Looks like @JohannsGarden also has an improved selection available for local pickup as well:

2 Likes

Thanks @swincher

Local pick up mostly, but I can ship bare root during the dormant season. It just has to be arranged directly as my website does not allow orders for shipping.

Im guessing it was your nursery I was thinking of and mentioned further up the thread. I appreciate you’re modesty. No one likes the “hard sell”.

1 Like