Growing loquats in the Pacific Northwest

Or I could send you a scion if you want to add this variety! If mine failed then maybe you could send back scions in a couple years :blush:

Actually Strawberry is one of the ones I successfully grafted onto Vista White in Jan '21! Tress are now growing outside . No flowering yet.
PM your address if you’d like to chance this.

1 Like

What about Vista White? Did you get fruit on this variety yet?
Mine is flowering for the first time.

I got mine from Kaz several years ago @anon57642013. His might be a superior bud sport from what I understand.

Vista White flowered in ghouse several months after I got it. I was so excited …but no takers.

1 Like

-Ram, I will be cutting down my large Vista White tree now, takes too much space. If you need some cuttings let me know.

If anyone else is looking for cuttings, I can trade or sell some scionwood for $3 each plus shipping cost ($10). Send me a message.

1 Like

Here’s some photos of Vista White fruit, it is one of the better tasting white flesh loquat.

5 Likes

I doubt loquat are compatible with flowering quince. Its Cydonia oblonga that folks are using as rootstock.

1 Like

The trees are now absolutely loaded with fragrant blossoms. This is near the Seattle area where we had a low of 12F. The blossoms were protected during the worst phases.

11 Likes

Here my peluche tree is full of fruits growing…

2 Likes

That’s great to see, congratulations!

1 Like

Such good news - those Dec temps provided a great test case!

1 Like

I’ve had a loquat for about 15 years? I don’t water it. It doesn’t fruit and I don’t notice the flowers. We get more heat than Seattle or vanBC but we also get more cold. That doesn’t help.
John S
PDX OR

With the forecast looking mild and rainy for awhile to come, I decided to try grafting one of the Strawberry loquat scions I accidentally got too early this winter. Just did a cleft graft on one of my seedlings of the Seattle International District tree:

With all the rain in the forecast, I decided against wrapping the entire scion. I’ll keep the rest for another month or two and try again if this fails.

That tree got very pale after the late December cold snap, unlike both of the other seedlings in my yard, so it may be a little more cold sensitive than its siblings.

4 Likes

My loquat grafts seem to weather the cold okay, but the extreme winds last week mostly defoliated them.

1 Like

Loquats are hardier than figs in my experience.

Here is how a fully flowering tree looks

11 Likes

More than a month later, that graft still looks alive at least, and maybe a little callus bulge:

The tree that’s grafted on is the only loquat seedling that’s still basically dormant. Here’s the other branch that I didn’t graft:

4 Likes

I am decently new to this forum but excited people are talking about loquats!! I haven’t actually been able to find any for the past couple of years. Could anyone point me where I might be able to get some?
I just got a house in the South Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA.

In my area they are sold as landscaping plants, grown from seed. I buy them for as cheap as I can find them, at a garden center or on Facebook marketplace or offer up, and then graft them over to a desired variety. Or at least the grafting is my plan. I just did a bunch and it’s too early to tell if they have taken.

Are you also in the PNW? I’ve rarely seen them sold around here locally.

If you mean the fruit, I’ve never seen them sold in even the most niche markets around Seattle, and if you mean trees then I think you’ll probably need to buy them online instead of locally. Fruitwood Nursery has good prices for rooted cuttings and seedling rootstocks (or seeds), as well as named variety scions, but they are not currently in stock so you’d have to sign up to be notified when each one you want is available:

If you just want seeds, you can get a big bag for pretty cheap from Sheffield’s:

1 Like

One Green World sells seedlings,

1 Like