Growing loquats in the Pacific Northwest

When I was checking all the other trees for them, came across a guardian in this one. No one is gonna lay their eggs in this leaf!

Where is the tree in the International District?

611 8th Ave South

1 Like

Thank you!

I’ve never actually been. Do you live in Seattle? Someone sent me a couple seedlings from the Seattle tree and they are current growing happily in front of my property.

Shambala and Kanko have large fruits now.

Other varieties like golden orb and crfg1 have much smaller fruit and are quite a bit behind.

5 Likes

Are they developing at different speeds or were the smaller ones just from later flowers?

Also, have you noticed if ‘Shambala’ is living up to its reputation of being a repeat bloomer?

I have a different variety that has proven to be a repeat bloomer. Golden orb.
Shambala did not repeat bloom this year. But it is a super vigorous and productive variety. It has the most growth and largest fruit this season. Usually Kanko and Argelino are giant but this year Shambala is so far even bigger.

3 Likes

I am northeast of Seattle by 40 miles.

I’m happy with the growth rate of this seedling that I planted out in February 2021, looking like this:

Same seedling today:

It’s actually two seedlings that had fused roots in a shared starter pot, so basically a two-in-a-hole planting.

4 Likes

I was going to say it looked like 2 in the first picture. That looks great. My seedlings from OGW didn’t make it.

Do you plan to grow the seedling out or graft it at some point?

I may add a branch or two of something, but mostly just planning to grow it out.

2 Likes

Kanko

Shambala — has really large fruit.

Bullock #1

Golden Orb

CRFG #1

5 Likes

I forgot to mention that my seedlings are all from the Seattle International District tree. I had a couple other smaller seedlings from seeds @ramv gave me, but they all succumbed to some kind of sudden death last spring/summer, which started with the growing tips and quickly they looked completely dead. I’ve never grown anything that got fireblight before, but that’s basically what it looked like, based on photos I’ve seen people post on here of apples and such. Whatever it was, it came suddenly and both the other seedlings died from it, but none of the Seattle tree seedlings showed symptoms despite being in the same area.

3 Likes

My Chinatown tree has not produced fruit yet even though it bloomed now for a couple of years.
Maybe next year.
It definitely has better tasting and larger fruit than average but maybe not at the level of the best named varieties.

3 Likes

Shambala is showing color. This is by far my earliest variety. Usually Argelino ripens in late July, early August and Kanko is even later.

9 Likes

Shambala ripe now. I’m letting it stay on tree for a few more days for maximum flavor and sweetness

Kanko showing color

8 Likes

They were truly spectacular

11 Likes

There is hope…well done!

1 Like