Growing Pawpaws ( Asimina triloba )

Yes on love of N- have never grown anything that so loves N, deep/wide mulch and moisture.

4 Likes

Quick question for you unrelated to thinningā€¦

I have a bunch of your ultra select seeds that germinated a few weeks ago that are all planted in tree pots now. Iā€™m wondering what your experience is with seed size versus fruit size. Do you find that larger seeds correlate with larger fruit? I believe I read that somewhereā€¦Cliff England maybe?

im hoping the breeders someday develop a z4 hardy paw paw. im very interested in growing some here before i croak.

1 Like

If you can get a fig to live, surely you can get a pawpaw? Have you tried Summer Delight, Halvin, VE-21 or any of the other early ripening ones Steve? Possibly even just go for seed with good genetics for insurance?

1 Like

If you really had -40F in that late January cold shot then you have one of the coldest spots in ME. Pawpaws are going to be tough thereā€¦especially with the lack of GDD during the warm season.

1 Like

i could cut the roots on one side like figs and tip/ cover them but i think pawpaw get too big to do this with.

yes we are the coldest in Maine. those 3 -40f were records for those dates. we broke the all time coldest record in 09ā€™ of -50f on Big Black river in the Allagashā€¦ many trees died even in the woods if that tells you anything. just 500 yrds down the hill from me is the St John river which a local forester told me is a micro climate that is z2b.

2 Likes

They might not like it much but you could even try a step over setupā€¦ @RNeal has trained trees to various forms before, Iā€™ve seen pictures. I donā€™t know if a step over has been attempted before.

2 Likes

Yup. Big Black River is consistently one of the coldest HADS sites up there. Iā€™ve seen the Estcourt Station site flirting with freezes in mid summer many years. Thereā€™s definitely some borderline 2b zones up there, but my hunch is a warmer year here and there skews the average to 3a. Iā€™ll have to look up the BBR annual mins over the last 20 or so years.

1 Like

i fish it regularly for muskie. if they predict 80 here its usually 70 ish there. where are you in Maine? 5b means your probably costal around Bangor, Bucksport?

Iā€™m in NH around the Lake Winnipesaukee region. I have my degree in meteorology so Iā€™m always looking around the weather in the region. The higher elevations in the Presidentials should see some snow showers today. Itā€™s definitely brisk this morning.

My pawpaws were growing great at the end of May, but theyā€™ve slowed down a bit this month. My soil temps have been stuck in the 60s. I may hit them with a little more fert today.

3 Likes

William Osteen has grafted a lot of Kentucky (Legend & Champion) onto trees.
Not sure if he has tasted the fruits or not.
@TrilobaTracker @disc4tw
KSU G4-25 (Pina Colada) seedling, do you have fruits yet?
Do they have Durian flavor?

Great family and wonderful Orchard.

1 Like

I have not had fruit from any of the three you mentioned yet. William and others have been kind enough to share some of their extra buds with me this year. Provided Iā€™m successful I should be able to share in the future so others can try them out too.

4 Likes

Beg pardon ā€œZā€, but I must correct your post lest we contribute to the confusion surrounding Americaā€™s once lost but fortunately now 'rediscovered" (at least for the general public) fabulous fruit of the Mighty Asimina Triloba. ā€˜Kentucky Legendā€™ (failed Potomac graft and possible Chimera), and ā€œKentucky Championā€ are not K.S.U. releases. Pawpaw lovers of the World should doff their hats and render thanks to the Honorable Woody Walker of Sparta North Carolina for introducing these finely fruited Trilobas.

2 Likes

Very kind of both you & William Osteen!!!
Look forward to your insightful analysis :+1:

Have you had some success grafting your treasure trove of varieties this year? What you sent me is doing great so far! I think I have at least one or two takes of everything, along with passing along extras to a few other folks!

2 Likes

Oh great @Osteen
ROTFLMAO
My deepest apologies if I wrongfully assumed & conflated names:
ā€œKY Championā€ &ā€œKentucky Championā€ to ā€œKSU Championā€
ā€œKY LEGENDā€ & ā€œKentucky Legionā€ to ā€œKSU Legionā€.
Thanks to Woody Walker of Sparta North Carolina!!!
I should listen to Einstein more often.

1 Like

:owl:

1 Like

Yep, TrilobaMaster Osteen is very kind & generous to individuals worthy of mentoring.
Mikey ZinHead be honored to get crumbs from table some day!

1 Like