Growing Pawpaws ( Asimina triloba )

Actually it has the same parents as Susquehanna and is from a different generation.

4 Likes

I recommend this article:
Pawpaw Variety Development: A History and Future Prospects

3 Likes

From Pomper et al 2015:

From “Register of New Fruit and Nut Cultivars List 50”, 2020:

3 Likes

The first taste of Chappell I had certainly confirmed the pineapple flavor. I’ve said that it’s the best sample of a pawpaw I’ve tasted.
Unfortunately they are now mentioning Chappell’s seemingly higher than average susceptibility to phyllosticta.
Jury is out.

2 Likes

Who is “they” ?

KSU and early adopters

1 Like

Crabtree, Lowe, and Powell documented it in a 2014 J APS article.

Thank’s for the info… i have this variety… :grin:

That’s really neat.
I, like most of our forum users I’d venture to guess, have little need to spend as much time as you do in the scientific literature.

My point was that they are mentioning this in presentations to the general public, while they initially did not when releasing the cultivar.

@TrilobaTracker
My point is that Pomper knew about it long before releasing it, at which time he made no mention of susceptibility.

Pawpaw and Phyllosticta

“Phyllosticta asiminae can occur on the foliage and surface of the fruit and may cause the fruit to crack when lesions expand, and lead to fruit rot.”
S. Crabtree, J. Lowe, R. Powell. J APS 68(4): 215-220 2014
https://www.pubhort.org/aps/68/v68_n4_a6.htm

“Phyllosticta, a genus of fungi, is the only disease known to affect pawpaw. It causes gray leaf spots and fruit splitting. Anecdotal evidence indicates that some varieties may be more resistant to the fungi than others.”
L. Greenawalt, MS Thesis OSU 2016.
http://rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view?acc_num=ohiou1466428938

Efficacy of Sulfur and Copper As Fungicides to Control Pawpaw Leaf and Fruit Spot (Phyllosticta asiminae)
“None of the treatments, varieties, or their interaction showed a significant effect in reducing fruit spot incidence in pawpaw.”
Hamal et al, ASHS 20/20.
https://ashs.confex.com/ashs/2020/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/32845
NOTE: Neither the copper nor the sulfur product used in the tests are considered effective agricultural fungicide compounds, nor were they used at any significant dosage.

Documented phyllosticta susceptibility

||Cultivar||Status||source||
|Atwood|little|Greenawalt|
|Benson|little|Lowe, Crabtree|
|Chappell|susceptible|Crabtree, Lowe, Powell|
|Green River Belle|little|Greenawalt|
|Lynn’s Favorite|none|Greenawalt|
|Mango|somewhat|Lowe, Crabtree|
|NC-1|susceptible|Greenawalt|
|Potomac|susceptible|Greenawalt|
|Shawnee Trail|susceptible|Francino|
|Shenandoah|somewhat|Greenawalt|
|Sunflower|susceptible|Crabtree, Lowe, Powell|
|Susquehanna|somewhat|Lowe, Crabtree|

S. Francino, MS Thesis OSU 2019.
http://rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view?acc_num=osu1562168100307853

J. Lowe, S. Crabtree. ASHS 20/20.
https://ashs.confex.com/ashs/2020/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/32466

3 Likes

That’s fine. I was simply trying to alert potential growers to a weakness of this variety.

The discussion you initiated is really not germane to the discussion of growing pawpaws, the point of this thread and the forum in general.

Honestly, It’s becoming hard to just discuss basic fruit stuff with all of your interjections across the forum. That’s not an ad hominem attack, just fact.
Fortunately I probably have better things to do
than spend time here, so it works out.

4 Likes

This topic has been flagged for moderation we are reviewing the thread. Please remember to be kind to one another we are all here to discuss growing fruit.

1 Like

There’s a lot of good information here, but it is scattered. This is my attempt to pull together loose threads:

1. Can anyone recommend a source of up-to-date data on acetogenin levels in ripe fruit by variety? If I plant some trees, I’ll have 3-5 years to figure out whether it matters. Meanwhile, I’d prefer to hedge my bets by planting low acetogenin varieties.

2. Is there a comprehensive source of data on ripening times? My season (southern RI) is short so I’d prefer to plant only early-ripening varieties. Until recently, there was a pawpaw farm across the bay, so I know that I can grow them here. But the owner warned me that any further north would be a problem. To be safe, I need an early ripener. FWIW, they ripened fruit in late Sept.

As further background, I planted Allegheny and Tropical Treat in 2018. I picked Allegheny based on published taste tests, Tropical Treat based on Cliff’s description. Trees are ~5-6’ tall. In past years, I’ve seen a couple of blossoms but no fruit. There are no fruit buds this year. Even so, I could plant 1-2 more trees. Alternatively, I could graft onto the existing trees.

p.s. The links to various U of KY sites either did not work at all or led to unhelpful material.

1 Like

Looks like I’m getting a Lynn’s favorite as my 4th tree to hedge my bets :grin: Thank you for this list!

2 Likes

Here is an old statement from KSU:
“We are screening current pawpaw cultivars for
acetogenin activity:
High: NC-1, Overleese, Mitchell, Middletown, Susquehanna,…
Low: Sunflower, Wabash, Potomac, Zimmerman, Wells,…”
Read more about it from KSU:
https://www.kysu.edu/academics/college-acs/school-of-ace/pawpaw/pawpaw-and-acetogenins.php

1 Like

Out of curiousity, as I’ve got an Allegheny myself, how tall are your trees at this point, and rough guess on caliper? Wondering how far along I’ll have to wait for my little 2 foot twigs :slight_smile:

My site in the initial post should help… Cross reference to confirm though, prior to committing.

About 2 decades ago my neighbor (a neuroscientist) and I calculated that the highest levels of annonacins found in Pawpaw fruit (not leaves et al) is about 2% of the level in Cherimoya fruit - which neither of us will eat. This result might be horribly out of date. Does anyone have data on recent tests?

3 Likes

Trees are 5-6’ tall, well branched. I’d estimate the caliper at ~1 1/2" but I’ll measure later.

FYI, they started out (2018) quite tiny.

2 Likes