Growing pluot in zone 8b PNW

Hi guys I am looking into growing pluot, can anyone input their experience of what variety of pluot that will do well in the PNW area. Because of the wet weather that we get I don’t want to judge by watching YouTubers that are filming in like San Diego California. Any advice will be appreciated

I would suggest searching for “pluot” in the PNW thread, like this:

https://growingfruit.org/search?context=topic&context_id=42591&q=Pluot&skip_context=false

You’ll find both lists of cultivars and discussion of which ones seem to be doing better.

1 Like

The varieties that produce the best for me,right now,are Splash,Flavor Grenade and one that is probably Flavorosa.

4 Likes

Splash

1 Like

Thanks for the inputs

1 Like

Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge, none of those varieties are available commercially in Canada. There are only a very select few varieties of plumcot/pluot available in Canada. There are no sources of pluot available in BC that I am aware of. The only source for pluot trees in Canada that I know of is Whiffle Tree Nursery in Ontario.

I have ordered Plumcots/Pluots/plum and other varieties such as pear the last three years from Whiffle Tree Nusery. I have recieved all my orders from them within 4 or 5 days from Ontario to BC. All trees were of good size with excellent root systems. They were all well packaged and arrived in good condition. Out of the more than a dozen trees I’ve received from them, none have died.

I would say there are a couple of minor negatives with ordering from Whiffle tree. The first pretty much goes for shipping any tree in a 5’ box, it costs up wards of $70 from back east to BC. This makes it prohibitively expensive to ship a single tree to BC. However, if you order 3 - 5 trees, the cost per unit will be no more than buying trees locally from most nurseries in BC. The other negative (being in a much colder area of Canada than south western BC) is their late shipping window. The trees will likely not arrive until late April, or possibly even May to BC. Personally I’d rather plant out bare root trees as early as possible in the year to lessen shock and allow the tree to establish and grow as much as possible during its first season in the ground.

Just for comparison (in contrast), my order from another Canadian nursery on the Praries has only just arrived at my local post office (nine days later). Why it has taken twice as long to arrive from the Prairie’s to my home in BC is a mystery. Canada post has again not dropped the package off at my home, so I will need to go pick it up from the depot today. I don’t have high hopes for the trees condition after being so long in transit. I don’t understand why it has taken so long, as I’ve always had shipments from Ontario or Quebec arrive in half the time. I guess I’ll find out if ordering from this smaller outfit is worthwhile when I pick the order up today.

1 Like

Which ones are they?

1 Like

They have flavour king, Flavor queen and dandy dapple which I have all of them. Plumcot wise they carry spring satin and northern sunset… my pluot are growing fast but no fruit at all, that’s why I started this thread. However I ordered a splash pluot. Hopefully it will work this time.

2 Likes

Yeah, apparently they don’t ship until mid April. I don’t know why they are weird lol

2 Likes

Dapple dandy

Flavor king

Flavour queen

2 Likes

Photo was taken today, looks like Flavor king is a late bloomer

2 Likes

They also carry Flavor Supreme pluot, but that’s still comparatively few of the Zaiger Pluot line up.

1 Like

Ohh I didn’t get Flavor supreme maybe I will trade you some scions

1 Like

I received your message @tutti-frutti. Hopefully we can figure something out between us. :+1:

1 Like

flavor supreme has fruited well for me only one year in four so far. it was glorious that year, very good and very early season. better than anything else that early. but I think it’s not a good choice unless you have space for something that usually disappoints you

1 Like

lol yeah I dont have too much space left. I only have one spot and that will be for Splash eventho the fruit seem a lot on the smaller size but ppl are saying that is doing well in the PNW, so Splash will be. but I will try flavor supreme on a graft. thanks for your input.

2 Likes

I bought a Dapple Dandy from Whiffletree last year for Cdn$78, including shipping and tax. This is less than the price of most of the fruit trees that I’ve seen in local nurseries this year. This was advertised as “Orchard grade”, which may not be available for all of their varieties; but it was a good-sized, bare-root tree that has grown very well.

I removed the lowest branches of the tree when I planted it on April 26 and used them for 3 grafts on my existing plum tree. Two of the grafts grew, and today I noted that the more robust one has lots of flower buds that are about the same size as the ones on the Santa Rosa plum part of the same tree. Santa Rosa is stated to be an appropriate pollinator for Dapple Dandy. So, I might see some fruiting results the year after buying the tree.

Update 4-30-23… zero fruit set from FQ, FK… however I got around 5 little baby fruits from the dapple dandy! Don’t know if they will hang. This tree is on its second leaves.

Forgot to mentioned that I am very excited that my flavour Granade has successfully grafted. Just waiting for them to take off. Thanks @vitog for helping me out.

Whip and tongue technique

Cleft technique

Budding technique

Many thanks @murky for recommending the Splash Pluot, I ordered from onegreenworld. I see many has tried emerald drop and Geo pride. I might try it out next year