Growing santa rosa plum in zone 8B

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to the fruit game. finally bought myself a detached home. can anyone tell me if I am good to grow santa rosa plum un zone 8B (Vancouver BC, Canada) I met an old folk that has a santa rosa plum at his backyard, and hes telling me that it doesnt bear fruit at all. maybe a handful on a good year. I am 2hr drive north of Seattle. so I would consider that I am in PNW zone? I am in need of a good pollinator for my Pluot that I planted last year. I am very limited on space, dont want to risk it if doesnt produce fruit.

thanks,
Tutti-Fuiti

1 Like

Hi and welcome.I’ve had a multi-grafted Plum,for about ten years,with Santa Rosa as one of the first varieties.Mine is like the one mentioned in your post,with very few fruit.Some people get a lot somewhere.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum,
It’s good to see more from our region!
So what variety name is your Pluot? I’m not so sure Santa Rosa is the best pollinator although you probably do need another Asian, native plum or hybrid. Did your pluot blossom last year? If so what was its blossom period, that data would be useful to determine the best pollinators
Dennis
Kent, Wa

1 Like

I have a flavor grande plumcot planted next to a santa rosa plum. Both trees flower profusely. The plumcot produces a lot of fruit and the santa rosa less than a handful. Both trees came from Stark’s. Both trees have grown well and the santa rosa was recommended by Starks as the proper pollinator. I think this season will be their fifth year for fruiting. Guess maybe that is the norm for santa rosa.

Hi Herb,
Did you happen to write down their respective dates for these stages
Balloon, open Blossom, Petal fall? That’s the data I always look for in trying to find a pollinator. You cannot trust what anyone to include a nursery that is not in your region to match pollination. It is well known that most Asians, Asian hybrids, and native plums can all pollinate each other as long as the pollen of one is available during the first week another is in full blossom. That critical receptive period for most plum and pluot blossoms is something to pay attention to when you want to choose a variety to cross pollinate the varieties you have.
If you know someone in your area that has your varieties suggest trying to find out if they have this data before considering which varieties to add.
Dennis

No Dennis, I did not pay particular attention of the different stages of bloom but I will this season. I only have the one plum tree. So is it possible that the plum tree is the pollinator for the plumcot but I have no pollinator for the plum?

It is possible Herb, ideally the pollen donator should be self fertile so it can be pollinated while serving as a cross pollinator. When the blossom first opens the pollen is not immediately available until its pollen sacs mature and open to release pollen grains. So when the pollen is released you want your other variety to be just opening its blossom. It’s that first week to maybe 10 days after blossom fully opens when the other variety is receptive. If both varieties are self fertile and happen to open blossom at the same times, then that’s ideal to cross pollinate each other. So that’s why I keep a blossom calendar updated each spring so that if I have blossoms but no fruit set, that tells me there was not a good cross pollinator nearby for that variety.
A majority of my stonefruits come into blossom so early that there is not a lot of bee activity, so I also have added a mason bee box that I stock each year with four types of bees, in hopes that as soon as the thermometer hits 55F some will emerge from hibernation to do a favor!
If you don’t have the native bees yet you might consider ordering some each winter so you can release them to do your early blossoms.
Dennis

Btw, I have had Ozark Premiere grafts next to other Asians for several years, both flowering like crazy, but OP has not fruited these two years of observation! So I understand your frustration. I keep searching for the right pollinator, maybe this year since I added several other Beauty and Methley nearby, my luck will be better. If not I will at least know how their schedules compare!
Dennis

I’m curious,is the Flavor Grande Plumcot,the same as,Flavor Grenade Pluot?

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply. I have flavour queen,king and dandy dapple as an 3 in 1 combination. I think they could pollinate to each other ? After reading all the replies seems like Santa Rosa is a no go haha

Hi somerset,

Thanks for your reply, I was wondering if I could get/buy some of your flavour Granade Scion off you? For some reason Canada don’t have flavour granade for sell. If you are in pnw I could drive to your place during the weekend. Canada sucks lol… non of the USA nursery can ship up here. If anyone has a collection of pluot in pnw can give me a shout please and thank you. I am surprised how active this forum is, very happy to join.

Thanks
Sean

@tutti-frutti, if you want to tag someone into a thread, you first need to include the @ symbol before typing their name. Then they will be automatically included in the tread at your post.

@Noddykitty thanks, I am too old for this kind of things :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Is the Santa Rosa an immediate relative of the thing it’s intended to pollinize? Ozark Premier for example is a cross of Methley and Burbank, so they might not be compatible? I’ve heard this said about Shiro and Early Golden.

Yeah Santa Rosa has issues. If you really want that one try weeping Santa Rosa. It usually produces a little better. It is an excellent plum. And pollinates almost everything. It’s a universal pollinator. Don’t expect much from Flavor Queen either. I would try Spring Satin. Another excellent plumcot.
Dapple Dandy will pollinate King. So no worries there.

@Drew51 thanks for the input. I wish our nursery carries weeping santa rosa. its extremely limited in terms of choice to plant in Canada. Canada sucks lol… however I found a nursery that sells Spring Satin and northern sunset (burbanks) Plumcot

I tried to search info/reports for the northern sunset Plumcot but I couldn’t find any info.

Burbank’s plums are still around over 100 years for a reason. I much prefer pluots over plums but I do like the Burbanks plums. I tried Santa Rosa, which has excellent flavor. Inca is a yellow that grows well here I have tried Flavor Queen and Vermont, both have never fruited well here. Inca exploded here. Hollywood is tart but rich in flavor. Kinda small. Gorgeous looking tree with deep red leaves. So why not try Northern Sunset? Now I want to try it!
Hey I’m from Detroit and have been to Canada over 50 times. I can see Canada from my cottage. A lot of Canadians come here to work and vacation so I have met and I’m good friends with a lot of people from Ontario. I have plants from Ontario. :sunglasses:

@Drew51 i am on the other side of canada, Vancouver (more like Raincouver) is wet 8 months out of the 12 months. it sucks… Ontario weather is very different than here. they have extremely cold winter and a pretty muggy summer. back to pollinator for my pluot. I add Spring Satin and Northwest sunset to my cart. I also read the Toka plum is a good one as a pollinator but wonder if they will fruit in the pacific northwest weather. seems like our weather is only good for cherry and apples lol but they both has maggots problems and our government wont allow consumers to use pesticide like spinosad. so its pretty sad growing fruits here lol

1 Like

Pears grow very well in South Western BC, so don’t forget to add a pear tree to your collection. Yes our climate is very wet, so forget about peaches and apricots unless you plant them somewhere sheltered from the rain. Otherwise Peach leaf curl is pretty near guaranteed to defoliate them every year. Even the so called PLC resistant varieties don’t do well in our very rainy environment.

@tbg9b

Hey thanks for the input. Yeah I had peach curl on my nectarines. And a Peento peach is on its way… yeah I have a collection of Asian pears.

1 Like