Growing strawberries from seed... one of my projects for late 2022-2023

This is one of my biggest fruit from one of my musk strawberries seedling

2 Likes

I put some in the house, to experiment on them in the winter and ones is flowering right now.

The image is so red because I put some extra red led to my other leds for more efficiency.

Anyway, I wanted to say if you are bored in winter and want to eat strawberries, plant some in a pot and bring them inside in november or december and they will start blooming again.
But for decent crop you need some plants. And also the self pollination one should be helped with pollination

1 Like

That’s amazing, I’m given up growing is strawberries, I never had any successful crop.

1 Like

Must be the region you live in. They grow like weeds in my area (thankfully).

1 Like

No, it’s just me. They grow here, we have strawberry fields nearby, but I rarely able to harvest a decent crop, though I switched from ever bearing to June bearing, just to try my luck. It’s not worth my effort. I’m now going to go out and buy from the local farm when I want strawberries.

1 Like

I have so many strawberry plants, but also never a big crop, thanks to slugs and mice.

But I planted them for experimenting, so I forgive the slugs :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t have snails here, not a lot of slugs either, the pill bugs and mice are the problem.

1 Like

I appreciate this attitude… since I’m a farmer, lol. :smiley:

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

There are much better tasting strawberries than from the farmar market.
But as always the best tasting are not grown commercial, to soft, not prolific enough, not good for storing.

Maybe there are some cultivars which would work in your place.

1 Like

It is a shame that I can’t send living plants to the US because of the restrictions. The strawberry produces runner (except few mutations) and so easy to propagate.
I would just dig some out or let root some runners in a pot and send them to you.

I have some cultivars of musk strawberries:
-prättigau
-schöne Wienerin
-Self pollinating Marie Charlotte
……

And some really good tasting garden strawberries

I also have the rare apricot strawberry
Fragaria nilgerrensis

3 Likes

Fragaria nilgerrensis… going to look that up! Thanks for the lead. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is what Wikipedia says about Fragaria nilgerrensis. I can’t find it stateside anyway.

I find a Swiss shop

2 Likes
1 Like

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Fruits-of-seven-Fragaria-species-and-two-forms-native-to-Tibet-aF-nilgerrensis-bF_fig2_318356513/amp

Can’t believe everything you read on Wikipedia. That middle website link said some nice things about this berry. If I can find seeds, I will try them. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have only personal picture of my hybrids right now.

But the hybrids are infertile, they flower but no fruits

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the photos. :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway the „fruit“ of Fragaria nilgerrensis is small, smaller than musk strawberry.

But looks „cool“ and the taste is unusual they have indeed some apricot flavor or it tends to apricot.
I assume it would be a „curiosity“ to offer that fruit on a market?

Here is picture of another musk strawberry

1 Like