Growing the infamous Habanero! Salsa Garden!

The Bulgarian Carrot that @subdood_ky_z6b mentioned above has that property.

3 Likes

@Richard

Can the Bulgarian Carrot be dried?

1 Like

Habanero heat, isnt necessarily frontal on the palate like thai peppers, but rather creeps up the back of your mouth, causing neck hair and sweaty head, whole mouth sensations that gradually overtake the whole. Kleenex needed. The best flavor for cooking beans

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if i should grow habanero or thai hots next year. Jalapeno are good for many yhings as well. Anyone else growing a salsa garden?

1 Like

My wife makes about 50 quarts of salsa each year. She makes all the way from mild to holy sh!t hot. I just rearranged our chest freezer last night so I could get at some venison sausage. Weā€™ve got 3 gallons of habaneros in there still. Only 1 gallon of jalapenos left. Our Carolina Reaper plant produced 2 quarts for us this year which surprised me. I didnā€™t figure weā€™d have a long enough growing season. They are hotter than the Ghost peppers we grew last year. Both are hotter than most central Minnesotans can stand (this is the land of lutefisk and Swedish meatballs)

1 Like

I quit eating Habaneros years agoā€¦ I like hot, but they would have me cramping up 30 minutes after eating them.
Iā€™ve grown Habanada and Trinidad Perfumeā€¦like the flavor of Habanada best.
Gonna try Roulette, a no-heat red Habanero, this year.
I have 2 large Trinidad Perfume plants overwintering in our sunroom, currently loaded with fruits, and a Habanada going through itā€™s second winter indoors. All were grown in-ground in the garden, lifted, potted, and brought in before killing freezes

5 Likes

Iā€™ve heard this from others in the past. One year my wife made what Iā€™d call a hot pepper version of giardiniera. It was very heavy on the habaneros. That stuff went through both of us in a hurry. We havenā€™t noticed issues when eating meals where habaneros are a minor component, but that may change I suppose.

1 Like

@smsmith

Wonder if those reapers would make could pesticide to keep things off your garden?

2 Likes

@Lucky_P

The habanero to me has an incredible taste. At times the jalapenos dont taste good to me but others i really enjoy. Thai hot dragons i like in jars of pickles. My mom would stick one long thai hot dragon down in a jar of pickles but you could not eat them fot 6 months so they could soak up the flavor. Dragons are great for drying and easy to use around the house.

1 Like

Do insects and other garden pests have heat receptors like humans? Deer here will eat the habanero fruits and plants if we donā€™t keep them caged and sprayed with Deer Out. I know birds donā€™t have heat receptors.

The only insect issues we ever have in our gardens are on plants in the brassica family. A few shots of Sevin Dust on dewy mornings takes care of that problem.

2 Likes

@smsmith

They claim squirrels are repelled by heat but its not true. Had one that ate thai hots where we grew them (not my property but they were my peppers). I dont have tree rat problems.

2 Likes

@clarkinks
I can eat jalapenos and cayennes all day long with sandwiches and veggies, but Habaneroā€¦just a level of heat that I donā€™t need. I donā€™t get ā€˜afterburnā€™, ifyouknowhatimeanandithinkyoudo from habaneros, but they just make my stomach/guts cramp up.

The Habanada and Trinidad Perfume have that fruity flavor & aroma without the crippling heat. lol

3 Likes

If you like the flavor but not the heat or stomach issues check out some of the different ā€œseasoning peppersā€. I planted one Arroz Con Pollo, it looks and tastes like a habenero or scotch bonnet but has no heat. It makes it easy to add lots of flavor but as much heat as you want but adding smaller amounts of actual hot peppers.

3 Likes

@Travis

Im a fan of cilantro also that with habenero i love. My sister and i are so addicted to that habanero flavor we ate a pint of salsa only made from habanero in a sitting with chips. We sweated , our noises ran and it was straight cooked down peppers. That resteraunt quit offering it as we were the only local Americans who ever ate it in Lawrence that i know of. Maybe there were others but i dont think so. Many might have tried it and felt it was to hot. We paid later but it was so delicious. Literally i felt that heat for hours. Im not saying you should ever do that but im confident if you can get past the heat its great. The owners were Mexican American and knew how to make it right. Thai food can be equivalent as hot and nearly everyone accepts that for some reason.

2 Likes

I would recommend trying this recipe. Itā€™s amazing

2 Likes

@Travis

Thats the color of it kind of, Im going to try it out! It is a dirty reddish orange color.

2 Likes

We grow cilantro every year for the salsa. You either like cilantro or you donā€™t. I guess it tastes like soap to some people. My wife struggles with not throwing garden stuff out. Thereā€™s at least 3 quart bags of cilantro in the chest freezer (and maybe 6-8 quart bags of dill weed for pickles).

2 Likes

@smsmith

We use mustard seed in our pickles as well just like onions and garlic. Spices make everything better! Yes some people are horrified when i say cilantro.

This study on cilantro is interesting

Cilantro, that favorite salsa ingredient, purifies drinking water - American Chemical Society.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know you could freeze it? Howā€™s it keep?

2 Likes

Most times it ends up getting tossed the following year. We have had years with a crop failure, and the wife will use the frozen stuff instead. It does ā€œokā€ but doesnā€™t have as much pungency as fresh.

3 Likes