Growing the infamous Habanero! Salsa Garden!

I assume everyone probably knows this already- but just in case you don’t- you can pot up any pepper plants you really like and keep them alive in your house over the winter. I have some peppers that are going on 4 years old. They lose a lot of leaves and get weak looking in the winter, but as soon as you get them back outside they go crazy.

6 Likes

@BobC that would be terrible!!! Lol

When I made my Habanero sauce last fall, I put on one pair of nitrile gloves, which I thought would be sufficient. Wrong! That night my fingertips got quite tingly, not a pleasant experience. Now I double up on the gloves…

2 Likes

I hear this all the time. Double gloves for habanero. I really wonder what kind of gloves are used. I use cheap latex gloves when I deal with superhots ( Reaper, C. Bhutlah, Bhut Jalokia, and the likes) without any issues. And those are way hotter than the hab.
So ueah, what are you using…so I can stay away from those?

Well, they were nitrile gloves, used by medical folks. Not real thick, but maybe they had small nicks on them and the juice got in. When I made my 7-pot sauce, I used two on each hand with no issues. I’m going to try Bhut Jolokia"s this year, about the same heat as 7-pot’s.

My wife once learned about cutting up peppers the hard way. She cut up about 2lb worth of jalapenos without any gloves, and within a few hours was hurting. I asked if she wore any and she said no. Was not a pleasant night for her!

@clarkinks, where did you aquire those Habanero seeds if i may ask?

I bought them as plants but those are a common type of habenero. I did not save seeds because I decided they were hotter than what I wanted to grow next time. Good flavor on the peppers but warmer than I need this year.

i was just curious because I dont think those were habs. What kind did they tell you they were?

1 Like

They said they were habanero and they look a little like Jamaican habanero https://goo.gl/images/mfyG75. I thought they looked like they had little bonnets like scotch bonnets.

they may be a unstable cross with habanero in it but my guess would be that it is from trinidad. It looks more to me like a 7-pot but the smooth skin throws me off a bit. Whatever it is it is very unique.

@clarkinks, If you want to try some habaneros shoot me a pm.

1 Like

Check out this cute little baby habanero on an 11 month old plant in my greenhouse

5 Likes

Why in spanish is Jalepeno pronounced hal e pee no and habenero is pronounced hab e ner o? JeJeJe its a little confusing! I get j = h but h = h why not just j or just h only? Trying to straighten out the basics of pepper growing for future reference since spanish speaking people grow some of the best and pronouncing something correctly is key to getting what you want

2 Likes

Habanero gets its name supposedly from a derivative of Havana, the capital of Cuba. In Spanish, the name is spelled Habana, and is pronounced “Ah-ban-ah”, because the H is silent. Why folks add an “Ha” sound, I guess that part is “English-ized”. I guess the correct way to say it would be “ah-bah-'ne-roh”.

Jalapeño, is pronounced “Hal-ah-'payn-yo”, or somesuch.

3 Likes

Thanks that explanation makes a lot of sense.

3 Likes

YW. What kind of pepper crop will you have this year? Any salsa?

I planted out my peppers about a month after the tomatoes, so my tomatoes are basically done, but my peppers are in full swing now. So, no salsa this year.

Pity, because this was our best year for tomatoes, coulda made a lot of salsa this year. We were able to can about 17 quarts of tom’s. But, guess we’ll be pickling a lot of peppers, making hot sauce, and freezing some.

3 Likes

I decided to sit this year out on peppers,since we still have plenty but we did have a great tomato crop.

1 Like

Fighting the urge to plant a salsa garden. @39thparallel is a close friend and we are bad influences on each other when it comes to growing things! He grew me some plants and as I’m planting those I’m tempted to do more.

2 Likes

I agree that habanero have great flavor but they are too hot imo it takes away from the flavor. My wife’s friend came over once and saw the plant, it was a chocolate habanero, she said she liked spicy food and ate a whole one right off the plant (I warned her not to). Let’s say she had a tough time enjoying dinner that night!

Anyway I found peppers that have the same flavor with minimal heat. These are what I grow now.

https://www.chileplants.com/search.aspx?ProductCode=CHIAJD1

1 Like

Anyone raising a salsa garden in 2022?

1 Like

@thepodpiper

Thank you for your kind offer. Was just explaining on another thread im not the pepper expert that others on here are. Enjoy growing many peppers but never have grown or think i will grow the hotter ones like the Carolina Reaper as an example. Some hot peppers like the ones i grew above have a great flavor in small quantities.

2 Likes