Growing Wine Grapes

Hey folks,

I have an opportunity to grow wine grapes on a 1-2 acre hillside. I’ve just started my research on varieties, support systems, irrigation, fertilization, fumigation, seasonal tasks, harvest etc. Is there a good, reliable resource for me to research online?

1 Like

Depending on how serious you are it would pay to hire an expert. I would save you from redoing things a few years down the road when you finally figure out what you would have done differently. It could be that you have a great site or that you should give up the idea of wine grapes and focus on table grapes.

There are also a number of books on the subject. Out of idle curiosity I read a few a while back (I have access to the O’reilly online library). My takeaway was that if I ever had a few acres for serious grape growing, specially if they were for wine, that I would hire an expert to help me get it right from the get-go.

2 Likes

UC Davis has an institute dedicated to viticulture. They dissiminate information to farmers and backyard growers at various levels of detail through online guides, short courses, certifications, and degree programs.

2 Likes

@don1357 who would be that expert?

@Richard do you have a link?

Do you have Google? :rofl:

Nothing came up unless I wanted a degree in viticulture.

1 Like

Google “viniculture consultants US”. They would asses your terrain, weather, water, best layout, and the ideal roots and vines to grow.

etc., click around on those