Growing your own rootstock, what are the possibilities?

Been browsing multiple nurseries online in Canada for rootstock, and have just recently discovered that some shrubs have the ability to dwarf pear trees such as Perking Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster acutifolia)
and crab-apples such as the Siberian Crab-apple (Malus baccata) having exceptional ability of creating cold hardy trees. Has anyone used Mountain Ash or Hawthorne as a rootstock for Asian Pears? Would love to hear other people’s experiences with what kind of plants they used to dwarf a tree, or perhaps grow a standard sized tree!

3 Likes

I think @steveb4 has pear on ash.

1 Like

I have a few sand cherry and about 10 choke cherry saplings I want to play with next year, they are super dwarfing on plum.

We use a lot of baccata here in Alaska. It is not dwarfing but usually our weather does a good job at dwarfing trees regardless. One caveat is that not all apples are compatible with baccata, I wasn’t able to get Prairie Magic to take on baccata.

Your best bet for apple rootstock? Dolgo. It is probably every bit as hardy as baccata and very likely that you can find it locally putting out apples. Find them apples and you will get them seeds.

Another food for thought; next time your baccata rotted tree puts out a branch from the rootstock let it so you can get baccata apples to make seeds and rootstocks from.

2 Likes

I have multiple euro pears on a back yard mountsin ash…also had an apple an asian pear which grew great for year after grafted then didnt wake up so guessing incompatible? (Have same asian pear growing on mountajn ash with euro pear interstem and its been growing great for the last few years

3 Likes

That’s great to hear Carlin, that’s making me even more eager to root some mountain ash cuttings and try it for myself, I live near an old farm field that is just filled with Black Hawthorne and Mountain Ash! :+1: endless supply and attempts to be made!

2 Likes