Gurney’s experiences?

My understanding is they are basically a drop shipper for their live plants, and it probably has a lot to do with who the actual grower is in this case.

My apples were delivered the same way as yours, but the bag wasn’t torn. I planted them, hoping the roots weren’t completely dry. I couldn’t tell for sure. We’ll see what happens. I knew better, but they were the only ones that weren’t sold out of rubinette, so rather than waiting another year, I took the gamble. The trees were half the size as the ones from Fedco, which I kind of expected.

Even though I knew better from past experiences; I ordered asparagus, Jerusalem artichokes, and blueberry bushes. Estimated shipping was last month. Would liked to have planted the asparagus by now. Guess I will gave to call them.

I bought some blueberries from them that arrived last week. Out of the five plants, there were four pretty robust plants and one that was a little on the wimpy side, but acceptable. Now I’m just waiting for them to wake up.

I had ordered evergreens from them last fall and was very pleased with how they arrived. Lots of roots, well-wrapped, all was good.

Ordered 2 trees for the spring and they arrived like everyone else is saying — absolutely nothing around the roots. No newspaper, no paper towels, just unprotected roots in a plastic bag in a box. I immediately sprayed them with water and put them in damp sawdust.

Unfortunately they arrived 2nd week of March for some 5a. Quite early. Hopefully they survive, I was really looking forward to these 2 trees!

I ordered a Drippin Honey Asian pear and a Honey Jar Jujube. I actually received two Drippin honeys in separate boxes. The one didn’t have much for roots. So I’m not sure if they meant to send a freebie or if it was a mistake. That’s was about 3 weeks ago. I was getting worried about the Jujube, but I just received an email that it will be arriving tomorrow. Hopefully it fairs better than your !

Tree Guy, I would check to be sure you weren’t charged for both. I once thought a nursery had included a freebie, to discover they had charged me for it.

2 Likes

A couple weeks ago my honey jars arrived from Gurney’s and they were light as a feather. One was probably long dead (I did a few scratch tests and everywhere the cambium was brown). The other had some green and is now sprouting a little above the graft union, but above that the scion might be dead. The only other thing in my order was a persimmon and it came with a big diseased gall on the taproot.

No newspaper, no paper towels, just unprotected roots in a plastic bag in a box.

This was my experience. Three trees I ordered arrived a couple weeks ago and the box was so light it felt empty. I could have used the trees for kindling.

I received my Honey Jar yesterday. The top looks to have some dieback, but the cambium is still green.
The roots looked mostly dead, but time will tell.

I got a coupon code by email yesterday that expires today 2/4

$25 off of $50
$50 off of $100
$100 off of $200

I went with the $100 off of $200

Or i guess you can look at it that it makes their fruit trees $25 each

Shipping cost was pretty fair at $29.99 for 3 fruit trees and 3 berry plants.

The things i ordered are ‘gurneys only’ so i feel as if this was a pretty fair deal and $25/tree is a good deal to me.

I have Ambrosia Pear ordered @clarkinks This is the cheapest i think i will be able to get it.

They then email you another coupon for Free shipping with an order over $75… so its possible to make another order for $50 off of $100 and get free shipping i think. I may try that one out also.

4 Likes

I ordered their “Oh My” seedless muscadine… to be delivered this spring. I have a nice planting hole ready for it.

2 Likes

@krismoriah

I’m going to hold off on planting a row of these until the patent expires in 2 years i think but i might plant one ambrosia as a test in the meantime. Thanks for the information. It looks like it is shaping up to be another bad year for fireblight.

1 Like

ok that didnt work…only one coupon per… but i did use the other code again for $25 off of $50 so that still gives an option for a $25 tree on some. Shipping was $15 which is still pretty fair.

Code is 0579240 and im not sure it will work for all… but supposedly expires today. YMMV.

1 Like

@krismoriah

The offer worked for me i used code 0579240

At the bottom it listed another code for free shipping 0575824

4 Likes

Got email saying code works one more day extension if anyone wants to give it a go.

2 Likes

I received my Drippin Honey and KG yesterday. Last week i got Yumm Yumm Nect and Ambrosia pear along with Honeysweet pear. Roots all looked great and everything was dormant 3-4’ whips.

Still waiting to see if their
Black Magic,Heaven Can Wait and Sweet Giant are worth growing…

Most all of these are ‘Gurneys Only’ and with the coupons the cost isnt that bad. I like growing things that are different anyways so im happy with my purchases.

1 Like