Hand Picked nursery experience

I wanted to share a good experience because most of the times reviews are only given to bad experiences, and this time I was pleasantly surprised. I was looking for Bluebell grapes and they were out of stock in all the big name online nurseries I usually buy from (afraid of smaller/ littler know nurseries with no warranty).but this time I could not find it anywhere so I took a chance. Prices were very reasonable, almost too good to be true. I did notice that the pictures of the products seemed to be from stock pictures. I bit nervous but ok, small amount of money. I ordered, through PayPal in case it was a scam wouldn’t have direct access to my cc. Got charged and didn’t hear anything in a couple of weeks. Read some bad reviews about online, got convinced I made a mistake. And then got a shipment notification, plant showed up a few days later! Very nice dormant bare root grapes, and they sent 2 instead of one! The roots were nicely developed, better than the Reliance I got from stark bros. Got them in water to hydrate before planting and the buds started pushing almost immediately. They are now in the ground and they have ~ 2 “ new growth. I’m very impressed. Now let’s hope is the right variety, that I will not know until a few years down the road. It’s a grape (well 2), were alive and are healthy. All and all a better product than Stark despite the iffy website. Have you had a bad experience with them? If not, they may become my to-go nursery.

4 Likes

Im not a fan of Hand Picked Nursery…myself… YMMV.

There is no such thing as Prime Ark Freedom black raspberry. Someone took time to write out even more about it…so its not a mistake.

The Josephine Raspberry is a lie… at least its not true to name of the one that folks want and was talked about on here and houzz years ago…bred by U of MD… they go into a history that is sketchy at best.
" the Josephine Raspberry has made its mark as a delectable and sought-after raspberry variety. Named after Princess Josephine of Denmark"

Their photo of Chester blackberry is of a wild blackberry.

those are just the ones that caught my eye…i could probably go on if i wanted to.

If you order more grapes/blackberries/raspberries/figs etc… Double A Vineyards has been top notch for me. Great reputation and an excellent nursery to me. Bluebell is currently out of stock but just to compare.

2 Likes

On Labor Day weekend I would be concerned about anything still totally dormant and not showing green. I have had some stuff not come out until June but that is often times rare. I am one of those later seasons to start too in CO.

1 Like

Well, I am a bit concerned that the grape may not be what it was advertised. I just hope that whatever it is will be edible. So far it is growing nicely, has put out multiple leaves and seem healthy. I have lots of diseases/spots here. Of the grapes I planted, reliance and seedless concord, still get lots of spots in the stem and the flowers turn brown and die. One grape that was here when we moved, a slip skin that resembles concord but really don’t know what it is, is very healthy and productive. Makes great jelly but not so nice fresh eating. So far this “Bluebell” has clean leaves. I’d be happy if I get a healthy plant. Thank you for sharing your opinion about the nursery.

1 Like