Hard frost incoming for Puget Sound

I did register a little while ago for some reason and get their emails.

I thought this was going to be the storm that wasn’t,but there are several inches and it’s still snowing and blowing.

Closing in on 12" here, though it’s hard to find an area to measure where it hasn’t been blown around.

Edit: Maybe closer to 10", was measuring a slight drift before.

We have about a foot of snow in Port Orchard :cloud_with_snow::cloud_with_snow:.

1 Like

Have 6-8" here on Guemes Island and snowing hard. With 30F temp, snow sticking to branches. Waiting to hear some crashing branches.
Ferry shut down. As if you could go drive anywhere!

2 Likes

We about 8" or so. Weird snow drifts on the water. V light snow now.

1 Like

Seems like about 8" here in Kirkland. One of my cheap greenhouses is completely crushed. Fortunately I learned from last year not to put anything inside and so no casualties.

Its really coming down now and expect a lot of snow today.

1 Like

Yeah
Its not getting warm enough to melt yet in Port Orchard. About a foot deep snow :snowflake: .

1 Like

Oh that’s so sad. I’ve had many coverings catch the wind, pick up the whole structure, and crash it into something stationary. A mess!
I’ve switched to buying 3/4" EMT conduit, adding couplers, and hanging left-over metal rafters (from past disasters) over the ridge pole. At least then the the weight of the snow can’t take down the structure. But combine the snow with a wind storm and I’ve got a lethal ballooning object!

1 Like

We’re up to 31.7, steady (but light) snow all day so far.

Latest GFS shows us getting off and on snow until it transitions to rain mid-day-ish tomorrow. Less reliable (but higher resolution) NAM model shows more of an overnight lull and snow starting early in the morning, but then transitioning to rain almost immediately.

Actual forecast shows more of an afternoon transition:

I am glad the kids got a good snowy couple of days, but also glad to see a warmer pattern returning after this pushes through. At least for a week or two…

2 Likes

That’s why I enjoy it (snow). I can’t remember it lasting over four days max. The wind is another matter.

Got enough to try the snow thrower attachment for the front of my AWD articulating Swedish Mower, thrown in the package. Oh, can’t upload movies.

Also did some sledding:

6 Likes

Yay for snow play! I might want to talk with you @Jafar about that mower. We need a new one soon, and I need to be smarter and get a snow blower, preferably one I don’t have to push. p.s your video played just fine.

We got enough snow to be challenging. Nothing like what I grew up with in the midwest, but still quite a challenge. Not as cold as I thought it might be.

1 Like

@Bear_with_me I’m happy to chat with you about it. I’m thinking the snow thrower is overkill, but maybe its worth it for you. I got the AWD mower for our hills. It handles them really well, although when its hot, dry and dusty the belt drive for the hydrostatic transmissions is the weak link. I may have to figure out a better belt tensioning system. Otherwise it is very solid.

I only have the snow thrower attachment because I bought the mower used. Probably couldn’t justify it otherwise . They make a power sweeper for it that I’d love to have.

I first tried to upload my video directly, but the site wouldn’t take it. So I uploaded to youtube then posted the link. I expected that to work :slight_smile:

Thanks for your weather heads-up. Undid my rag-tag protection today - Lisbon and Meyer lemons are fine. Have to wait a few months to see about Key and Thai lime flowerbuds and Pluot leaf buds. Fiejoa evergreen leaves look good. Maybe, with a little protection, this zone IS promising for hardy avocado.
However, this wasn’t really an unusual freeze event and even less damaging than last year’s 16F chill.
Poor Texas where growing citrus is not considered zone pushing.

Final SE Portland tally for this weather event: 3 daily lows of +23. 4" snow drifted to 10"; 5/8" inch of ice; lost two 1" lengthy feijoa branches. Power out from Sunday evening to early Tuesday morning.

Leaf damage will not be fully apparent for 2-4 weeks. Some feijoa leaves lose their gloss and fall, but remain green.

2 Likes

I got 1 day of 26, 1 day of 27, and 8 inches in snow. No damage found, yet. It might be a good day for a copper spray, before the wet weather hits.

1 Like

Daily lows here in West Seattle were 25, 25, 27 for the three coldest nights, but the day in the middle had a high of 32 so overall a pretty lengthy frost. Just about exactly 12" snow before the rains started washing it away.

Snow is still melting but no obvious damage yet. Looks like the Umbellularia californica has decided to pop open its flower buds today, not sure if that could be a sign they were damaged. Luma apiculata and feijoa look normal, but yeah it’ll be a little while before any damage is apparent. The jubaea stayed warm and cozy under its bucket with string lights.

25, 22, 27 F for the 3 coldest nights, from weather station in the orchard.

murky: have you ever done temperature comparisons in your swale?