Hardwood tree identification

This tree on my property I never really looked at closely until today…I always assumed it was a Manitob![IMG_3111|690x517] (upload://kMiVE44apG7eonmOet0CCRW0mIl.jpeg) a Maple…the bark looks like a MM…ho wever today I actually looked closely at the leaves…it appears to me to be some sort of nut tree ?..but it produces no nuts…and it has no strong smell when crushed so it is definitely not a walnut. The branches are somewhat craggy like an oak but they turn up at the ends as you can see in the picture. Anyone know what this is ??

1 Like

Leaf structure and bark resemble white ash.

2 Likes

I believe either white or green ash. Definately not in the Acer genus, aka maples

2 Likes

I know there are a lot of green ash growing in my field…but I understood from people’s sort of derisive way of referring to them that they are just small scrub trees…do green ash grow to sizeable tree…it must be about 60 feet to the very tips of the top branches…if not it must be white ash I think ?

Here in WNY our green ash, though not as many as white ash, will grow up to 60 or more feet. In open spaces, all trees will grow lateral branches rather than straight up. In the forest, trees want to go up to out compete all the other trees, thus less lower branching.

1 Like

Ash trees are used for hoe handles and baseball bats. Not quite hard as a hickory.
Good firewood.

The emerald ash borer would be the reason not to grow ash trees at the present time.

Had a big white ash in our front yard when I was a kid. It was very successful at reproducing… they came up all over, quite weedy.

That sure looks the same.

A dead or dying ash tree is a morel mushroom magnet… Elms too.

TNHunter

Sorry, I have 50 or more 20 year old dying ash…no morel mushrooms unless this is the year.

@Blueberry — could be the year.

Most of the info I have seen on ash or elm and morels… seemed to be referring to older trees, and many appeared to be dyeing of a beetle infestation… Check out the two below… (on Ash trees)… but you will find many more on Elm like this. I think Elm may be the #1 Tree (on most experienced morel hunters lists)… for host tree for morels.

On my place, I have only found a single ash tree and it is young… but every time I go morel hunting, I check it just in case. I have no Elms… my place is dominated by oaks, hickory, maple, poplar.

My Mom’s old Huge Ash… was dyeing for some reason… not sure why… and for years I would collect morels from my place and when I washed them, would catch the rinse water… and take it to my Mom’s house and pour it around in the root zone of her big ASH… but it never worked.

Her tree was just in a location that was too sunny for Morels… had no luck at all getting any to fruit there.

PS… old grown up orchards, apple trees, are always mentioned as great places to find Morels…

Also in locations where there are old Metal Dumps… the part of the morel that is underground (somewhat like a root system but not)… runs… and when it runs into metal, it often pops up and fruits (above ground morel shows up).

Edge of clearings, or where in the woods you run into a Poplar Tree grove… around the edge of that grove… likely to find morels. When it changes from mostly oaks, or other trees, to a dense poplar thicket… bingo. I have a place like that on my property and it works.

You are right that not every Ash or Elm tree is going to have Morels… but most experienced morel hunters… will not pass by either without checking.

TNHunter

2 Likes

I’m thinking the dark ones probably are up or even gone…and the white ones pictured above are waiting for a good wwarm rain.

I didn’t spend much time looking today…too pretty and wwork is begging me to do it.’
And customers willing and eager to pay even.