Hardy Kiwis dormant cuttings

Bob V.

Here are the dormant kiwis cuttings scratched one inch below the node and dipped in rooting hormone. They are starting to push buds and not sure yet that they are rooting.

Tony

7 Likes

Looking good. How long ago did you put them in the pots? Are you going to check for roots soon?

It has been 3 weeks now. Not sure when to check for rooting. Anyone knows? This is my first time trying to root these hardy Kiwis vines.

Tony

1 Like

Iā€™ve gotten new solidified wood to root pretty easily. Straight cuttings of older wood frequently push leaves but never have successfully rooted for me long term.

I generally wait until new wood has started to brown before pushing cuttings into potting soil.

Chills

Bob

The dormant kiwis cuttings looking good. I just let them be for another month and will see what happens.

Tony.

3 Likes

Bob V. and all.

Now it is official that dormant hardy Kiwi cuttings is real easy to root. Bob V.gave me 33 cuttings and 26 rooted. I planted them all yesterday. There was not enough fence line so I had to plant 3 in a hole with 2 females and one male. All six of the Kenā€™s Red rooted. Larger caliber cuttings seem to make more roots. Cheers,

Tony

4 Likes

They are pretty easy. Iā€™ve got over 70% of my cuttings to root in just water.

5 Likes

Hi

I have one female hardy kiwi that is now 6 years old and grows well, i wanted to try to make some new plants from cuttings.
Can you tell me is it now ok to take cuttings from hardy kiwi and can you please explain this method with rooting kiwi cuttings in water.

About one month ago i try to root few hardy kiwi cuttings in potting mix but seems no success.

1 Like

Iā€™ve rooted green cuttings before in potting mix. Make sure you keep it somewhere out of the direct sun. Iā€™d also remove most of the leaves from the cutting and make sure the soil doesnā€™t dry out. Iā€™m hardly an expert as it, as Iā€™ve had plenty of failures. But there have been some successes too and Iā€™m still testing different ways.

Hereā€™s my current experiment:
Started on 7/2:
12 fresh:
3 Male
1 Rossana
9 Issai (3 of which are old wood, all else is green wood)
26 dormant (leftover from winter pruning and kept with scions):
5 Issai
7 Cordofolia
14 Fortyniner

To keep things relatively cool and mostly dark, Iā€™ve got them in my basement.

Just to mix things up a bit more, I added 4 So jujube cuttings today.

6 Likes

Kiwi does root easily, on par with grapes. Hormone seems to help some, but is optional. With summer cuttings I use 6"of material that is semi lignified, and remove all but one or two leaves which I snip back a bit in size to further reduce water loss by transpiration. Keep them in shade, or in mist, and they should root out in a month or so. In my z5 location, I need to protect a. Arguta starts in the winter, kolomikta are fine outside.

2 Likes

Today i will get some green cuttings from actinidia deliciosa kiwi male and female and i will try to graft some with chip bud and other cuttings i will try to root in wet soil and wet sand in plastic bottle that is closed with tape so moist stays in always.

And i hope graft or some cuttings will take and root :slight_smile:

After I pruned my hardy kiwis this spring, I had a lot of the pruned branches laying around the garden and I needed some ā€œplant markersā€ to divide a couple plantings of lettuce so I just grabbed a couple short, straight kiwi branches and stuck them in the ground. Now itā€™s a couple months later and all of them are growing leaves and appear to be turning into healthy plants.

This was not the plan at all! I just needed some row markers.

The other insane part of the story is that Iā€™m pretty sure (though not 100%) that I pruned the kiwis at least a week before I stuck them in the ground, so itā€™s highly likely they were pruned and laid on the dirt for at least a week fully exposed to the elements before they were ā€œrootedā€.

So, YES, I agree that these things are easy to root!

5 Likes

To update on my cuttings from last July, none made it. Iā€™m not sure what I did wrong, but Iā€™m guessing it was moisture or heat related (not sure which way on the moisture and too little heat?).

I did take 4 newly dormant Issai cuttings on November 5th. I used rooting hormone on them and put them in potting mix, in a South facing window with the shade drawn. The room stayed 75-80F and I watered them sporadically (not too much- maybe twice a week).

One other note- I didnā€™t have any good pruners with me when I took the cuttings, so I used a pair of old loppers which tear a bit. I wonder if the tearing actually helped them send out roots. Seems like another variable to testā€¦

Lots going on in a limited space, so I actually had one pot draining into the otherā€¦The pot on top has an almost open bottom, so I was able to check for root growth.

When I saw root growth yesterday (after about 40 days), I emptied out the soil to re-pot.

I was surprised to find that the other one in the same pot had also rooted. Two for two so far! A lot better than 0 for 38 from Julyā€¦I also had 1 of 4 Kenā€™s Reds survive, when I stuck cuttings in the ground last December. But that one hasnā€™t grown much at all.

Now that they have roots, Iā€™ve moved them to a sunnier spot, near some figs.

It also occurs to me that there is an interesting philosophical aspect to this post. It shows that this kind of online info is probably skewed toward success. I had completely forgotten about this post and might not have ever updated it. Except, I had some successes and want to share it, so I looked for a place where rooting kiwis was discussed.

11 Likes

I wonder if I traipsed through the snow drifts after Christmas and took a few Arctic Beauty cuttings, if they would root in some starter mix in pots on a heating mat?

Iā€™m glad you added your new results Bob, I tried twice and failed both times so its good to see some success!

2 Likes

I bet a heating mat would help. I have one room that I keep pretty warm (75-80F), but just warming the pot should save energy.

I pulled the thin cutting out of the 2nd pot today (to give the bigger one more room). It had a small root, nowhere near as much as the others, but it was still more than I got from Julyā€™s cuttings. The bigger one from the same pot has lots of top-growth, but I wonā€™t know if it has roots for a while. Iā€™m going to leave it where it is, which should help its growth, rather than satisfying my curiosity.

A note on why I chose Issai this time:
-Most precocious of hardy kiwi
-Not quite as rampant growth as the others
-It was the only one I got any fruit out of this year after the hard frost in early April
-Doesnā€™t require pollination, unlike most other hardy kiwi

Now, several of those may be related, but it adds up to Issai being the most practical of the ones Iā€™ve grown.

Iā€™ve been told that Issai isnā€™t hardy here. I have several varieties of kolomiktas, and also Tatyana, Natasha, and Andrey Siberian kiwis. The only ones I can get to very easily through the snow drifts to take cuttings are my September Sun Arctic Beauties. I have had crops on some kolomikta varieties in the past, but this past spring the frost nipped them, so the top halves of the vines froze. They recovered, but didnā€™t bear fruit. I donā€™t know if last nightā€™s -25 F. will affect them or not.

Adding more data: I appear to have 2 successes out of 8 tries. I tried a few different techniques, keeping some in water, some in dirt, recutting some and not others. All got rooting hormone. Alas, I kept poor notes.

I think the 2 winners were the ones that I put in soil without freshly cutting off the bottom. The rest just seemed to develop rot at the bottom, including in the same pot.

All of them leafed out several inches before dying even though they didnā€™t make any roots. I was warned that this would happen, so be warned yourselves. They can look successful for a long time even if they arenā€™t.

3 Likes

Adding to an old but relevant post, I finally got around to sticking some hardy kiwi cuttings in some mix (June 3 ?) . They were cut mid-Marchā€¦donā€™t judge me, ha haā€¦and many of them already had pale leaves forming (in the fridge), so Iā€™m guessing there is about zero chance of long-range success, eh? The leaves are greening up nicely, so thereā€™s that. I figure I may leave them in these pots 'til next Fall or Spring.
I was roaming around the NCGR-Corv at the third pear scion cutting and wondering what else I could experiment with, so I got the kiwis (Ogden Point and a red, numbered unit) and some hazelnut sticks and other stuff. Now I have a Normoka hazelnut graft on an OSU Dorris ā€˜treeā€™ that looks really good. I want to get some Nixon sticks, too. Both are gigantic (for Hazelnuts), easily shelled with little/no paper, and tasty. Gotta experiment.

5 Likes

Hi!
I will try to propagate kiwi from wooden cuttings inside a heated little greenhouse.
I read to use wooden cuttings during winter, dust them with rooting hormone and put in agriperlite inside a base heated greenhouse @ 22-24Ā°C (72-75Ā°F).
They should make roots in 50-60 days.
After the first roots developed they will be putted inside pots and leaved inside a non-heated greenhouse until may.
Do you have any suggestion?
Someone tried this way?
Did you had success?

By the way I know that they are very similar to grape and here farmers used to propagate them simply putting cuttings inside potted mix during winter.

1 Like