Harrow Delight

Bill,
This is the first year my Harrow Delight is blooming. The blooms started opening yesterday, 4/28), one day before Harrow Sweet (started blooming today).

My Harrow Sweet ripens in late Sept/early Oct. I look forward to find out when my HD will ripen.

The flowers are a bit different in colors. HD’s blooms (unopened) are mostly white. HS’ blooms (unopened) have pink tint on them.

HD

HS

6 Likes

Thanks. HS and HD should work well together. I’m also thinking that HD will give me a high quality early ripening pear. My HD scions are growing fast on an older tree so I might get a few flowers next year.

2 Likes

Mine was grafted on Blake’s Pride in either 2016 or 2017 (not sure).

2 Likes

How do you like Blake’s

Not much but last year it was the first time I had them. The size was good, bigger than Harrow Sweet. The texture was not smooth and it tasted rather bland. Again, last year’s rain could have contributed to the blandness,

Last year I ate a lot of excellent pears, Abbe Fetel, Magness, Comice, Potomac, to name a few. Those pears were smooth, melting, swwet and some were quite aromatic. By comparison, BP was left in the dust. I hope it will taste better this year,

6 Likes

@clarkinks and you other folks familiar with it. I grafted either Harrow Delight, Harrow Sweet, or harvest queen to my cleveland pear in 2017. Its in its 3rd leaf and is flowering all at the tips.

I grafted to Bosc last year to the other limb and i have 1 more to graft next year.

First what variety do you think it is? I’ll get full bloom pics in a few days when they open. I’ll get fruitlet pics if any form.

2nd question is what should i add to it next year, if 1 of you can help me out with a stick next year? :grinning:

2 Likes

Those pink blossoms are harrow sweet. It will set fruitlets. Just let me know what you need next year and if i have it i will send it to you. You might look at my fruit posts from this last year and decide which pear you like the best Here comes the 2018 apple & pear harvest! or Here comes the 2016 apple and Pear harvest!
Here is a thread for those identifying pears by blooms Pear buds, blossoms, and fruit 2017

1 Like

I will read those tomorrow thank you. Whats your take on harrow sweets flavor compared to all the others you have fruited?

This will be my first fruited pear. I have a flemish beauty on OHxF87 that is on its 6th leaf and still hasn’t fruited, just pushing leaflets right now, still hoping to see a cluster of flowers somewhere this year.

1 Like

European Pears typically take awhile to fruit on standard rootstocks. Some pears take in excess of 12 years hence the term pears for your heirs. Harrow sweet typically produces very fast and the flavor is much better than most pears but not as good as some of the other truly exceptional pears.

2 Likes

Well guys this is my first ever pear harvest, small, sure but it was cool. So these confirm Harrow Sweet ya think?

6 Likes

Harrow delight is much earlier and harrow sweet is ripening now.

3 Likes

Those look like the ones on my tree. I plan to pick my HS tomorrow.

3 Likes

I usually pick mine when they turn paler green, yellowish green. I am in zone 6a. I pick mine in late Sept.

3 Likes

I agree I probably picked mine a week or 2 early but i’m going to be busy soon, if their on the counter they are not so easily forgotten. :slight_smile:

1 Like

By the way my bartlett i bought was no bartlett at all that ripened as early as july! It was ayers mislabeled as is common amongst pears! I know this because i have many ayers pears mature and producing now. My red bartlett was an ayers all along i bought in the early 1990s.

2 Likes

I planted a Harrow Delight in April 1997 in my small home orchard. It bears heavily, ripens early (is starting to drop fruit now), but the fruit is fairly small. I have no pear to cross pollinate with it, but do have a Golden Delicious apple nearby. Would having a pear to cross pollinate with increase fruit size?

2 Likes

Yes and adequate pollinators

Have you thin your pears? Thinning will definitely help increasing the size and quality of the remaining fruit.

While you may have one pear tree, your Harrow Delight could have been cross pollinated by other pears in the neighborhood including flowering pear trees.

1 Like

My Harrow Delight has born a lot of fruit the past few years, but the size of the fruit has remained consistently smallish, even when there was less fruit, although it did occur to me that I should have thinned it this year! There have been no other houses with fruit trees, ornamental or otherwise, within 1/2 mile of us until last year. But you have encouraged me to try planting another pear tree variety to see if that will help increase the fruit size, along with thinning, of course.

I have some pears that are much smaller than others and although I’m not sure what the cause is I think it is related to not being well pollinated. I cut some of these and check for healthy looking seed. In some fruit there will be one good seed or seed that looks underdeveloped. I’ve added several varieties in an attempt to get better cross pollination and I’m getting more large pears but some still remain small. These are just my opinions and I don’t know if I’m on the right track or not.

2 Likes