Harvest Time in Omaha

Shenandoah, Susquehanna, and Mango pawpaws. Meader American persimmons, and Honey Jar Jujube.

Tony

19 Likes

Tony, that’s beautiful.

1 Like

Matt,

Susquehanna pawpaw texture is like a mango. Awesome!!! Definitely a good keeper.

Tony

1 Like

Tony,
Very nice. Pawpaws also look like green mangos.

1 Like

Well done, Tony. I hope you enjoy every bite.

1 Like

I hope they all taste great.Thanks for sharing the photo with us.

1 Like

Looks good Tony. Did Sam the Brick Eating Squirrel have an opinion on these fine fruits, before you dispatched him?

That is one unique fruit plate, enjoy!

1 Like

The squirrel so far went after the Asian pears. But the Raccoons went after my pawpaws and persimmons. I got marshmallows in the Haveahart trap for those guys.

Tony

Wow! Beautiful fruits, Tony!

1 Like

Tony,

How tall do you allow your pawpaw tree to grow? Should I prune them like other usual fruit trees like plum, pear and apple? Mine is nowhere near pruning stage yet but nice to know what’s ahead…

Tom

I Kept them at about 9 feet tall and 6 feet wide.

Tony

1 Like

Keeping them lower than their height potential won’t affect their fruit yield? Just like apples and pears? I saw a few in wild setting and they’re much taller than apples and pears!

Tom,

Pawpaws got lots of purple flowers as the tree getting older. They just needed help by hand pollination to ensure heavy fruits set. Very low maintenance tree just like persimmon and Jujube.

Tony

2 Likes

Tony,
Have your Jujubes handled any -20F temps? Do they all ripen before frost? What varieties? Thanks in advance.

Ks,

Jujube bark became real thick as they get older so -20F is no issue. You may have to protect the new planted jujube tree if the weather drops to -20F in that same year. Honey Jar is the first to ripened.on 9-1-16 and set fruits better than the rest of them in full sun. My Li and Sugarcane are starting to turn some brown color now. My goal is to have 6 productive Honey Jar. I need to graft two more next year. I like it the best.

Tony