Has anyone experienced newroot-1 rootstock

I am curious if anyone has tried newroot-1 rootstock. I saw on a post that someone claimed newroot-1 was not the best rootstock for cherries but then claimed he did not have notes. Has anyone tried newroot-1 out yet? It seems to be a new rootstock so not much information on it yet.

I’ve had cherries on it and like it better than the Gisela roots. It’s been used for maybe 10 yrs now. Keeps my trees small.

3 Likes

I have 6 year old Bing, Lapins, and Rainier cherries on Newroot 1, planted in one row 6’ apart. They are within a 24’ metal frame that I net in the summer. I have managed to keep the trees at 10-12’ but it takes persistent summer pruning.

3 Likes

So do you think they get over 12 feet? Everything I have read says 8-12 feet unpruned so that mean it will get bigger than expected. I am getting one bing 2 utah giant and 2 rainier so I will have some of your same varieties on it.

Have all of them survived? I read on some study published online of Gisela 3 rootstock failing 75% of the time while Gisela 5 survived 95 percent of the time. I think the newroot-1 trees I bought were 29.99 so I am hoping they all survive. Good to know you like them more than Gisela.

1 Like

My metal frame originally was 8’ high. By the 4th year trees had filled out that space so I added another 4 ft of height. The Bing has now filled out that 12’ height even with pruning… I’ll have to be more aggressive with pruning this summer. The trees are quite a bit more vigorous than I had anticipated. Btw the cherries are HUGE…all that energy forced into a small fruit load!

2 Likes

I had Bing on NR-1 in my previous house planted in 2015. The size is still at 8 feet. I didn’t see any fruit set on it but the new homeowner may not be taking care of it.

1 Like

I bought a tree on newroot 1 a long time ago and in my zone 5 all my Gisela does tremendously better.

1 Like

Good to hear the fruit is pretty massive when it grows with newroot-1. I like it when plants produce a lot. I decided to start growing trees this year because I decided a lot of my annuals were not producing a lot. Cherries are my favorite fruit and I heard you get a lot of them. I am zone 5 so I can grow sweet cherries and when I heard about dwarf varieties that could grow in pots I was ecstatic.

1 Like

I’ve experimented a bit with netting a whole tree and am interested in other systems of this type. Do you have pictures of your setup? I held this up with magnets to keep netting off of branches, then bunched and tied the bottom of the netting around the trunk. Worked ok but needs refinement.

5 Likes

Its genius, I love it!

1 Like

Love the magnets! That’s the beauty of this forum - sharing totally unique out of the box ideas!!
My newroot cherry planting. Bing, Rainier, and Lapins in foreground with a Romeo and a Juliet sour cherry at end. Found this metal pipe on the side of the road - versatile and indestructible. Sometimes you can find frames onIMG_0475 craigslist from carports that have been damaged in the winter wind. 4’ fencing along sides for deer pressure.
This is the 2nd year in a row that it has rained around July 15th causing fruit to crack. I need to learn my lesson! Will be covering top with plastic for a 2-week stretch this year.

3 Likes

Never thought to seek out damaged car port frames, that is a good idea!

The 4’ fencing is enough to stop deer? That is great.

Not normally! Main garden fenced to 6’. But this plot is so narrow, with net draped to ground, that deer don’t seem to get the idea that they can enter. I could rue the day I thought that!

1 Like