Has it been a good fruit year?

Boizeau,

Are you in the Puget Sound area? I have an Uncle that lives just outside Silverdale.

1 Like

Yes
Silverdale is less than ten miles away from me.

Have you seen any flying lobsters lately? Try to send them my way!

3 Likes

No. Haven’t seen any flying lobsters lately. Maybe they left for Maine . . . ? :rofl:

1 Like

Bummer!

I’m jealous, Jim. Especially of your peaches plums and apples.
I could have answered the question - Has it been a good fruit year? - with two letters. N. O.
Or maybe two words.
Hell no.
:rofl:

3 Likes

Just reading some of these posts.
Paddy - sounds like you had great success! I envy you all of those peaches! :peach:

1 Like

Very nice thread. Like others, here are my notes

Great:

Figs (many grafted this year fruited), PeachyKeen peach (very reliable), Frederick passion fruit, Raspberries (with primocane varieties, we are swimming in berries), Blackberries, Valencia oranges (big old tree with fruits hanging year around)

Good:

Shinseiki pear (produced for the first time - 2nd leaf), Oro Blanco grapefruit (still early, but great potential), Guavas (I experimented with water deficit, which unlike stone fruits is a bad idea for guavas)

Bad:

Grapes (Golden Muscat - slip skin + seeds is a bad combo, Mars - not as “foxy” as I thought, Reliance - growing slow), Satsuma plum (zero fruits with leaf curl aphids and no hand pollination), Satsuma Mandarin (taking its own sweet time to set fruits), Parfianka pomegranate (wrong variety), Unknown avocado (zero fruits, topworked this year)

Still keeping my eye on 2022/23 for full production of all the trees (and grafts) planted this year with few expected failures.

1 Like

Interesting. How old is your Prok graft on Nikita’s Gift? I was thinking of grafting some American persimmons on Kaki trees, but I read there might be graft compatibility issues. One option I wondered, is to do that via a hybrid (NG, Rosseyanka, etc) interstem. Good to know you are having some success with it.

1 Like

It was a cold and shorter growing season for the Puget Sound lowlands.
A very cold spring
Not a good garden season.

1 Like

Not particularly good. Weak bloom, bad timing of frost, too-cool summer contributed to a lackluster year for me. Pears were dern-right skimpy, apples a fraction of the year before (but still adequate for us to be eating ours right now, with enough to carry us a few more weeks.)

Decent plum crop though, and the kindness of a neighbor provided plenty of nice apricots for jam, so we have preserves for the year.

1 Like

Good crop of blueberries & black walnuts. Handful of persimmons.
Nothing else… no apples, pears, mulberries, blackberries, plums, pecans, acorns.
A few isolated hickories produced slim crops… most had nothing.

But… I had the first big garden in over 25 years. Plenty of squash(summer & fall/winter types), field peas, green beans, watermelons, sweet potatoes. Tomatoes & peppers did OK, Okra and Roselle probably should have been started early and planted earlier.

1 Like

If we’re now talking about 2021 season
We’re off to another cold season.
Still in the 40s here.

Puget Sound lowlands (Bremerton Washington)

Isn’t it normal to be cool in March?

Actually
we often get a few day at 60 degrees even in late February.
It’s hard to be precise
But spring is cooler than the usual.

http://www.worldclimate.com/climate/us/washington/bremerton

As you can see ;
We’re lower than the average for March.
About 5 degrees colder than usual.

Wow I was so busy when this thread started I missed it! Sorry to hear about so many problems. . I had some fails too. But my fruit trees did extremely well. About time! Overall it was a good year.
This years going to be even better.
The fails I had are fixable. Hopefully I took care of it. Time will tell.

Sorry, I did not see your question until now. All the this and that about persimmons often confuses me. Too many things to remember.

All I can tell you is this.
My NG is on D. Kaki virginiana. I grafted Prok (2018), Tam Kan (2019), Chuchupaka (2020) on NG. All grafts have survived.

I dug up a few persimmon seedlings from my friend’s yard. One seedling has at least Prok and Morris Burton on it. I can’t remember what varieties the other seedling has but all grafts have grown.

1 Like

Thanks, thats helpful. This is probably not going to help with your persimmon confusion, but to clarify

I guess you mean D. Kaki (Asian persimmon) rootstock here? or do you have multiple NG trees on both D. Kaki and D. Virginiana?

Well, when I got the tree 6 years ago, it listed the rootstock on the tag as D kaki virginiana. So, I just copied the tag.

My guess is it is on D kaki. I think I got it from Burntridge.

1 Like