Haskap / Honeyberry Bloom Timing

When I starting planting Haskaps I studied the charts and info and was concerned about overlap and pollination. But now that more of my plants are blooming I’m finding (at least this year) plenty of overlap from one end to the other of early to late varieties. Indigo Gem and Aurora were opening 5/13 and full bloom two days later. 5/15 Beauty, Blizzard and Beast were starting. Today 5/22 all the bushes are full of blossoms at all stages – past, open, and buds. (BerryBlue, HoneyBee and BlueMoon are small and I nipped the buds off early but they were in there with the rest). I’m no longer worried about pollination amongst them. And SO glad I don’t have to be concerned about the freeze forecast for tonight as far as the haskaps.

Are others’ varieties farther apart in bloom? Maybe our climate here encourages them to all get going together so they can support each other. Sue

2 Likes

You are mentioning varieties that have a lot of Russian in them. They tend to be from colder regions (although there are some warmer russian ones) tend to bloom sooner, and are pretty much impervious to overnight frosts. My haskaps started flowered about two weeks ago, it has been freezing overnight just about every night (can’t use my hose in the morning because it is iced up), I don’t worry one bit about the flowers.

Heck last year I pulled a large Tundra somebody gave me, they were clearing an area for a path. The plant was greening out pretty good while half of the root ball/mass was still on a slab of ice. Japanese varieties can take the heat better but the old varieties you have are as cold hardy as they come.

1 Like

i have all the same as you mentioned and noticed the same thing. i just got 2 strawberry sensations im slightly worried about but i read 1 of the boreal series overlaps with it. bumbles all over my yard working them and my romance cherries and currants right now.

4 Likes

I find the HoneyBerryUSA Bloom Time chart is fairly accurate for my Zone 5a location in Southern Vermont: Honeyberry, Haskap, and other Cold Hardy Fruit Trees. I posted my bloom observations a few days ago in the other Honeyberry thread: What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty? - #1137 by nkurz.

One thing to note is that all the varieties you mentioned are in the Early or Mid category except for Blue Moon. The Late’s of interest on that chart are mostly Maxine Thompson’s Japanese origin varieties, plus Strawberry Sensation. Another thing to note is the note at the top of that chart: “in USDA zones 2-5 Mid varieties overlap 90-95% with most early bloomers for good pollination (except when early bloomer has short bloom time)”.

I think you are right that in colder climates like yours (I assume from your user name you’re in Zone 3?) you can usually get away with assuming pollination between the Early and Mid varieties. I’m not personally familiar with Blue Moon, but if we trust the chart and my Zone 5 experience you might want to consider getting it another Late pollination partner.

2 Likes

I suspect zone 6-7 has more gap from first to last bloomers.
But, too soon to state that as observed fact.

my indigo gem/ treat is still covered with blooms as is my aurora/ honey bee and 2 of my boreals are also. the third one my dogs snapped off but is sending up new shoots. putting in the 2 straw. sensations tom. near them.

1 Like

My Indigo Gem seemed so little and fragile and slow that when it croaked 3 years ago I haven’t bothered to replace it. But the one berry I did get to taste was sweet.

Some years apple bloom is scattered over 30+ days; some years a dozen days.
I am imagining the same proves true for honeybeerries. But, if one has a bunch of cultivars, something should work out…if there are any bees flying.

1 Like