Hazelnut Pollination of Different Varieties

Just wonder if American, hybrid and European varieties could cross pollination. I know most of the Europeans and hybrid would cross pollination depending on the timing and pollination strains. Not sure about American hazelnuts.

from what I’ve read they can as long as they flower similar times. not a lot of info out there when that is. i have 4 Americans and would like to add a cross to improve pollination. right now im not getting many nuts.

1 Like

I thought Americans self-pollinate?

1 Like

i don’t know. I’ve read conflicting info. 2 of mine came from arbor day 6 yrs ago and never got nuts. then 4 years ago they sent me 2 experimental Americans to try. since then I’ve only gotten a few handfuls. and a lot of them were empty nuts. the 6 yr olds are healthy 8 fters and the 4 yr olds are healthy 6 fters. i have them mulched with wood chips and have given them a balanced 10-10-10 fertilizer several times. all i got was a ton of new growth with few nuts. i have many wild beaked hazels all around my property that produce nuts with no care.

2 Likes

So all your trees are American hazelnut trees?

2 American and 2 hybrids from the hazelnut consortium. don’t know what they are crossed with but arbor day stated they were experimental hybrid hazels they were sending to volunteer members to evaluate. got 3 and 2 survived. sourced from 4 different northern hazel breeders. i guess when they contacted me 4 yrs later asking how they were doing and i told them they hadn’t produced yet, they just stopped contacting me. seeing they all have American genes, you would think they should pollinate each other?

I would think. But they do require certain varieties to pollinate. Not all can do it.

I searched for the free trees to join Arbor Day group. But all offered are shade trees, not fruit or nut trees. I’d like to get more hazelnut trees. Hybrid would be perfect.

i looked also and it seems they stopped the hazelnut consortium offer they used to have.

grimonut.com has some good choices also.

1 Like

Yes, some mentioned Grmo Nut, Great Plains, Z’s Nutty Ridge, Oikos for hazelnuts.

1 Like