Hazelnuts 2022

never tried roasted.

shelled nuts roast at 300 degrees for 10 minutes or soā€¦

1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s a lot of trees! You should have no problem getting a big cloud of pollen.

2 Likes

I also have a York and a Dorris so we will see how they respond to east coast blight conditions.

2 Likes

I also have 150 dorris and 150 wepster I got cheap, but will need to keep a close eye on. Iā€™ll be heading to Foggy B in August to pick up more plants. Im 1/2 mile from lake Michigan and am in an area where C. Americana/efb isnt prevalent. too wet and clayey. Now is the time to look out for catkins. Japanese beetles are my major Pain itaā€¦I get a 5gal bucket with a 1/2 gallon of water, tbsp of murphys oil soap, a tbsp of triazicide insect killer, walk up to beetle cluster, bend branches into bucket and knock on the sides they fall in, very few fly away as they fall quick into the toxic juice. This is time consuming, but an awesome way to spend a nice afternoon:)
A friend of mine has Americana hybrids and she harvested and shelled her crop, which was roasted and coupled with dark chocolate in cluster form. The nuts were improved by roasting even though they were of seed origin, and the clusters sold like hotcakes at the farmers markets. The 4 Rutgers varieties are pure euros, making them superb, even better for confectionary use.

3 Likes

How hard has it been to keep them one stem? Iā€™m experimenting with both bush and tree, but Tree seems easier to manage.

Eventually single stem. The folks on Oregon train them tree form. In New Jersey, being a research farm, they let their true habit show, but controlled for suckers. I didnt see the handheld 5" hose suction harvesting units impeded by the multistem. There are different machines though which require the clearance. I know Iā€™m going single tree trunk, beginning around 20- 30" where possible. The folks in New Jersey keep the suckers down monthly, but dont prune towards the 24-30 trunk till after its well established, 3-4th yr.

1 Like

Zā€™s Nutty is where itā€™s at for the north east

3 Likes

Yup Jeff has nice plants, and Grimonut.com from Canada

2 Likes

im particularly interested in their Quebec/ Asian cross for extreme cold hardiness. they are the only nursery that i know of using east Asian genetics in their hybrids.

3 Likes

The natural form of hazelnut is probably bushy. Commercial growers train them to tree forms for better production and harvests. For home growers, I think we can go both ways.

The native American trees are smaller and more bushy. So most people train them to hedge. European hybrids (OSU etc) are bigger and are easier to be trained as trees.

I plan to train my European hybrids as tree form and the American hybrids as bushes.

My main question is if I should separate them into two different blocks. Or they can be planted together as separate rows. I do not think they cross pollinate each other.

3 Likes

i would think if the hybrids that have some euro. genetics they may cross pollinate but the pure American crosses probably wont but im no expert. for harvesting, id plant them separate. at least the hybrids i grow dont drop their nuts. you have to pick them in the husk then dry them to get the nuts to release. next fall im going to leave some husks on the bush to see how long and if they will drop on their own.

1 Like

EuroxAmerican crosses happen easily if the allele compatibility/timing is right. I have Aldara clones planted last year, Dermis coming this year and many Alex X open pollinated seedlings, Wisconsin X open pollinated and these, DermisOP, Wisconsin OP, and Saskatchewan OP seeds to sprout! Only 2000, will run out of space. 20220217_144306|690x920

1 Like

I get a group of trees related to OSU. So I consider them EuroCross. Then the Badgersett or Ashworth are probably pure American crosses and have no Euro genetics. So I do not know if there is any benefits (or harm?) at all to mix them togetherā€¦

Large acreage of hazelnut trees outside Canby, Oregon are all tree-form, have finished blooming, catkins still hanging. Many young trees <=5 years included. There was some damage from Feb2021 ice storm, older branches broken and young trees toppled.

I hear you about the j beetles. @auburn suggested neem, which I shall try this year.

1 Like

I use neem/dawn/water for beetles but you have to apply often.

We got cicada this year, instead of beetles. Always something. Got a lot of ladybugs too, always.

1 Like

Any tips on Beast in clay soil. I amended the soil but minimally due to success in field trials with poor soil and neglect in full sun. I got my name in the pot for the first release and fall planted them but they got chewed back by rabbits over winter (protected now) and I completely neglected them last year in a full sun location. 1.5 years in and itā€™s about 6", the other is dead, and the grand traverse between the two gets sickly looking pale leaves w/brown spots mid to late season and is also only 6".

Hi Jujube:) First thing that comes to mind in clay is drainage, what ph is your clay? In my acidic clay each new fall planting got 2tsp of dolomite lime around the base, slight sloping field. Field prep consistednof 50 tons of aglime spread over 16 acres and disced in.