Hazelnuts 2022

This is an observation that appears to happen frequently with my Jefferson hazel. Each winter the catkin is damaged before the springtime bloom. Our frequent weather changes from hot to cold appears to be associated with the problem The other hybrid varieties sustain some damage but not nearly as much as Jefferson. With that said the bloom appears to be normal but is in need of a pollen source. Over the last couple of years I have started grafting in some American varieties with the hope that their cankins will perform better. The attached link also mentions this issue.

10 Likes

Of the hybrids I have only the Dorris has any catkins and this will be their first winter. The other two that I bought from Oikos are farther along but I haven’t seen any particular winter issues with their catkins. They have only this last season been able to pollenate anything.

3 Likes

He did mention japanese beetles, the scourge of my plants.

2 Likes

I have some issues with Japanese Beetles. Neem/soap/water spray helps reduce the damage.

2 Likes

i need to clone my best badgersett/ arbor day hybrid. last fall had very nice nut meat size compared to the other 3. id say 40% shell/ meat ratio.

2 Likes

I’m assuming that your plants are seedling from selected varieties. Propagating your best trees should increase production later on.

I’ll try some neem maybe it will slow down the eating.

was experimental crosses made by badersett farms and arbor day back 5 yrs ago. they sent them free to arbor day members all over to test them for hardiness, disease resistance. and nut size. all 4 bushes had good production but 1 was exceptional in nut size and vigour. i sent a report to arbor day and will also send them a clone to evaluate once i get one.

2 Likes

All my hazels are Jefferson air layers that were planted in 2021 so I wasn’t sure what to expect this year from a bloom/catkin stand point. Onto these air layers I added grafts of York, Yamhill, and Theta at about 5-6’. The Yamhill had its first bloom 20220208 and York was 20220211. No blooms observed yet on Jefferson and Theta. I only have a few catkins so I’m not expecting the flowers to be pollinated this season.

3 Likes

I forgot to mention that I planted one wild filbert from tractor supply in 2021.

2 Likes

Experimental projects/fun that I have planned for this year are: Graft in a few wild limbs to possibly help get viable pollen for my hybrids. I also plan to graft in a few hybrids with wild hazel interstems to see if there is a dwarfing effect and to see if it induces earlier fruiting.

2 Likes

I love your enthusiasm, but beware that the OSU varieries from Jefferson to Dorris, etc all rely on the ‘Gasaway’ gene for EFB immunity out west, where the EFB is only 1 strain, where as west of the rockies we have dozens of different strains, which the OSU varieties wont tolerate. Check out Rutgers new EFB resistant releases. I’m in Michigan zone 6a/b

2 Likes

I meant east of the rockies EFB is more diverse and these OSU varieties wont last:(

2 Likes

Here is Raritan, the original exemplar at Rutgers experimental farm

info: rutgers_hazelnut_update_october_2020.pdf (4.1 MB)
The Beast hybrid:
![20210827_100534|690x920]
Rutgers experimental orchard. These varieties, though mostly productive and excellent, didnt make the cut.
(upload://1l0BtvEQMf86dmqy0PP8t7oiub5.jpeg)

6 Likes

im glad my hybrids didnt get that big. would be a pain to pick. my biggest bush is 8ft. they potentially could get to 12’ but since they’re 5 yrs old i think they’re done going up. if not ill prune them back to 8’.

They fall from the husks:) The farm allowed them to grow naturally, to show their habit, but Im growing them single stem. The beast is HUGE

3 Likes

see my hybrids dont. you have to pick them and dry them in a warm place before they come out of the husk.

1 Like

I bet they are delicious. Do you roast them?

1 Like

I purchased Somerset, Raritan, Hunterdon and Monmouth (+Beast) from Foggy Bottom. https://foggybottomhazelnuts.com/

I had to keep them covered until summer because of all of the cicadas. I am hoping they grow well as bushes because I am trying to make a hazel hedge.

3 Likes

Sweet! I have some somerset coming. It wasnt available when I visited Don at Foggy Bottom. I have some coming, hopefully, if the labs come through. I was able to plant 750 Raritans, 100 Monmouths, 100 Beasts and 100 Hundertons.

3 Likes