Hazelnuts 2023

I plan to post some pictures of catkins soon. Jefferson not doing well.

7 Likes

I am sorry to hear about Jefferson. What seems to ail it?

Prof Molnar (Rutger’s) sent out his newsletter. It is title the winter edition and the previous one was spring so think it is meant to come out a couple of time a year. Much of this addition pertains to catkins and pollination. It has some links to discussion of alleles (which determine which plants can pollinate which other plants) as well as discussion of winter problems with catkins.

I must confess I don’t actually recall how I got on the mailing list so I am posting the link I received in his email. I hope it works for you all. If you can’t see the link or would like to be added to his mailing list you can email him at thomas.molnar.rutgers.edu. He said I could post his email if anyone had problems with the link.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T2BrsVzRPxRgvCRop_dQSe4cXX0ObRdnwVP1AZfDVYk/edit?usp=sharing

Happy new year everyone.

Here is a link to a good article explaining pollination and the s-alleles

I will follow with some catkins too.

9 Likes

What are all the varieties that you are growing, @Auburn ?

I planted several American Filberts from Gurney’s about 6 years ago and we are finally getting nuts from them.

Last spring I added a few seedlings each of Yamhill and Jefferson. I am hoping they will do well.

2 Likes

@NJpete
When I posted that my Jefferson wasn’t doing well I should have mentioned that I was only referring to the catkin. The actual tree/bush is growing very well in fact it and Theta are my most aggressive grower in height. The flowers emerge later and appear to be normal. Both these varieties shed their pollen late and I purchased this combination to get pollen coverage for each other as they both tend to flower later. The Theta catkins appear to be okay so it should be able to cover the Jefferson flowers.

6 Likes

@FarmGirl-Z6A
I’m currently growing Jefferson, Theta, York, Yamhill and two unknown varieties of americans (probably American seedlings). I added the two americans mostly for more varieties of pollen for my hybrids. I also wanted to see what quality nuts the American seedlings offer.

4 Likes

I have taken some early Jan 2023 catkin pics. None of them appear to have elongated yet.

My favorite hybrid from Oikos… a nice big leafy green bush.

n

A smaller bush, also from Oikos…

Somerset, from Rutgers/Foggy Bottom. A recent planting amazingly with a catkin. My first hazels were several years before they produced a Catkin. This guy was planted in spring 2021.

Dorris, has been a fast grower for me. It is meant to be resistant to EFB in Oregon but susceptible in NJ. We’ll see how it goes.

I also have a couple of things that look like insect cocoons or something… anyone one have any idea what they might be?

9 Likes

Mantis egg sacks. Good to see.

13 Likes

another good reason to have hazels around… Mantis habitat :slight_smile: thanks

4 Likes

I am growing Wepster and McDonald just north of you. This will be the second year in the ground here. Another variety is unknown but a vigorous grower. Hoping the three of them are able to cross pollinate.

4 Likes

Very nice pics. Somerset is very precocious!

4 Likes

As best I can determine Webster and Mccdonal are supposed to have a good pollen overlap. I don’t grow either. In 2021 I relocated from 7b to 8 and I brought with me a few air layers and they seem to be growing well now. Alabaster

4 Likes

I might have mentioned this before but my experience with hazels is that they graft easily. If you don’t have space for another tree, grafting it (different varieties) on a few limbs might help with cross pollination.

8 Likes

Are your Catkins releasing pollen yet?

4 Likes

The catkins are still tight and haven’t been released yet.

3 Likes

I picked up a Wepster and McDonald large size from Burnt Ridge 2 years ago. They grew up to 10-12 feet after recovering from a deer attack and each has a few catkins now. The McDonald had 2 nuts on arrival but I’ll have to see if there is enough pollination this year for more.

6 Likes

Catkins looking good on my 4 yr old Precocious and amazing on 2 yr old little Hazelbert. Too bad they are 60 ft apart (Trazel in between has shown no interest yet in catkins). We’re months away from pollen but I dream, and order more hazelnuts. Sue

Preco-catkins-Jan2023-x

Bert-catkins-Jan2023-x

9 Likes

You can graft them west side to each other.

3 Likes

This is my go to although it is dated 2014. Geographic Distribution of Incompatibility Alleles in Cultivars and Selections of European Hazelnut in: Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science Volume 139 Issue 2 (2014)

I had to get one cultivar because it is grandson’s name “XYZ”- I was explaining to his mother that XYZ is very promiscuous and she pondered “Hmmm, when do I start worrying about my child’s fertility?”

“After the marriage and before the divorce, Dear. After the marriage and before the divorce.”

4 Likes

Yamhill First Bloom

5 Likes

sneaking forward every year

3 Likes