Hello, and please help ID

Hey everyone, I’m new here and excited to be part of a forum of fruit-tree-loving people.

I’ve got a tough one, right off the bat: I have this seedling that grew from a seed I had labeled as a “blood orange”. Clearly, it is not any kind of citrus. I’m not even entirely sure it’s a fruit tree, maybe a squirrel pulled a switcheroo on me? Does anyone have any idea what type of tree this is?!
IMG_0413

1 Like

Mango. ?

1 Like

It does look similar, but pretty sure it’s not. Those little leaves that are growing against the branches is pretty unique (plus mango seeds are large and this didn’t have one attached when I up-potted it here).

The “picture this” app says this FWIW.

I’ve heard this particular variety is quite a nice once as a fragrant ornamental tree.

If in fact, the app is correct.

:slight_smile:

Hmmm… interesting. The leaves look different, but it’s a possibility. I think have seen those little “fruits” around the yard.

It looks like Pittosporum undulatum. Attractive tree with nicely scented flowers. Reseeds readily and can be a little weedy though.

Ironically, all except the last photo on your Picture This screenshot are of P. undulatum, even though it says it’s P. tobira.
Some of the Google Image results for p. undulatum are P. tobira as well, so maybe it’s not entirely the app’s fault for getting it wrong.

2 Likes

Ha. Thanks for the correction.