Hello from Northern Utah!

welcome to your new addiction! :wink:

1 Like

Carrie welcome I am in southern Utah County zone 6B. I am not that active posting to the forum but I really enjoy reading it everyday. As for spray schedules I highly recommend singing up for the fruit IPM email from USU
https://pestadvisories.usu.edu/category/fruit/
They tell you exactly when and what to spray for right down to the day and city you live in.
As for peaches you can pretty much grow anything as long as it doesnā€™t bloom too early and has a growing season not much longer than Oā€™Henry (maybe a week or two longer would be ok). I really like my Elberta and Artic Jay nectarine both of them produced buckets this year. I am looking for some other varieties to extend the season, it just seems to go to fast. P.S Plums and pluots also do really well here

2 Likes

Excellent resource, thank you so much!

I do not think my spray schedule. Will coordinate with your insects. I fight peach borer, OFM, mostly. The rest of my sprays are for bacteria, viruses, and fungi .

It probably wouldnā€™t work, but thank you for thinking of me and being willing to share!

Carrie, Welcome! There are a lot of very nice and amazingly knowledgeble people here on the forum. Just my two cents worthā€¦if you have room for only a couple more peaches make one of them a white peach!!! Lots of choices but a tree-ripened white peach is something special. Great growing, Randy/GA

2 Likes

@randy_ga
Thanks for the welcome!
I am planning on a white peach, I am just having a terrible time deciding which one!
Carrie

Carrie, I would encourage you to check out the website of Dave Wilson Nursery. Tremendous selection, loads of info and they also have a ton of vidsā€¦under the heading FruitTube on their website. Not just peaches but much more. Randy/GA

I have been combing through the Dave Wilson site! I love the information, especially the fact that it tells you what nurseries ordered what trees. I fear that instead of making my choices easier, it has made it more difficult as I look at all the other varieties. :wink:

1 Like

Youā€™re getting it!

Hi Carrie,

Fellow high desert dweller here, but on the other side of the Great Basin in Reno. Iā€™m developing a spray schedule as the seasonā€™s pass, my orchard grows and new pests/problems are introduced.

The primary issue for me is the coddling moth, which arenā€™t that difficult to deal with if you donā€™t miss their hatches. I also get some powdery mildew, but so little that I control by breaking off or pruning affected branches (always confined to fruit buds in bloom and mostly on Calville Blanc) rather than spraying.

I doubt I can really offer better advice than you got from Greg re the USU information, but am happy to answer any questions you might have that lie within my experience.

Welcome.

Hi Carrie,

I could graft you an Arctic White Supreme for 1 or 2 of your Rio Oso Gems next spring if you need someone to graft. Arctic White Supreme is by far the best peach Iā€™ve ever tasted! I live in West Jordan. Rio Oso Gems are ones Iā€™ve wanted to try for a while.

Best,

Rob

@rsivulka I would love to try a graft, does scion have to be a certain size? I just barely planted my tree in September and the branches are not very big in diameter yet.

Yeah, you should probably wait a year or so.

Iā€™d be happy to send you the Rio Oso cuts I prune off in late February if you would like them.

That would be great! Thanks Carrie! I tried grafting on newly planted peach trees last year and had no luck even though I had lots of luck on my established one. Iā€™ll check back with you later. Hope you had a great Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Thank you! We had a great Christmas, and will probably have a quiet New Year. I am glad we have gotten some snow, I hope we get a decent amount this winter.
I hope your holidays were/are good too!
I will let you know about when I plan to prune my fruit trees.