Help ID Methley plum sucker or seedling

A few Methley plum suckers or perhaps seedlings close to the trunk were dug up. This one had a tap root almost 2 ft long. Some leaves were slightly bronze. Tree label did not state rootstock. Is this common of any plum rootstock.

Your overall message was pretty clear, but i would not call it a “Methley Plum sucker”. As you know, it is likely a rootstock sucker from your Methley plum tree.

As originally stated, it sounds like a sucker from a Methley tree that was growing on its own roots. This forum has participants with a wide range of understandings about how these things works. I think its helpful try and avoid such confusion.

The taproot indicates this is more likely to be a seedling than a root sucker. When suckers emerge from plum roots they’re typically from horizontal roots running close to the surface.

4 Likes

Good point. That’s an impressive tap root. And well done to remove intact. I’m pretty brutal when I dig up root suckers for transplant. I wouldn’t even try to go half that deep. I’d just sever it with a horizontal jab.

1 Like

Yes it is most likely a seedling of Methley as I also realized there was no attachment to a horizontal root on closer inspection. I was impressed at how long the tap root was and am still wondering if that is typical.

1 Like