Help me identify tree

This was in the middle of a very overgrown field I’ve been getting mowed to clean up and put my RV. I could be totally wrong or I may be right on. Unfortunately I absolutely do not know. I’m really has a lot of characteristics of my cherry trees. So I put leaves close up from both. The left is from the unidentified tree the right is my hedenfiger cherry. Thanks

2 Likes

The leaves look like sour cherry leaves.

1 Like

Dang. It’s rit where I’m parking my new RV. Would it hurt to transplant it? If so, if someone knows should you transplant dormant or with leaves?

1 Like

It is always better to transplant trees when they are dormant. I am not exactly sure that it is sour cherry, maybe somebody else confirm.

2 Likes

Wild black cherry/chokecherry/prunus serotina is a strong possibility. I like the flavor, but the fruit is tiny, and they’re apparently no good as rootstock.

I can’t identify at that level of precision, but if I’m right there will be several others in the vicinity.

1 Like

I checked. There are som other much smaller ones. Wonder if keeping them will help distract deer from the good crop…?

1 Like

Kind of looks like Prunus serotina to me also. I’d cut it down.

1 Like

Really? Are they problematic? That’s very interesting…

1 Like

Fruit is edible but tiny. Also it’s a black knot magnet. Cut it down to a stump and it can send up multiple shoots 6 ft in a season. Not worth transplanting. I’d cut it down also but If transplanting is desired do small ones when dormant.

2 Likes

It’s right where I am going to make a pad so I’ll dig it out totally and put it in the burn pile. Thnx folks…

1 Like