Help Needed to ID Asian Pear Leaf Disease

Thank you, mamuang!
I will definitely apply lime-sulfur next season.

I also found this link:

There are 3 choices for growing season:
Growing-season spray

1. carbaryl-Highly toxic to bees.
2. pyrethrins-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use. Highly toxic to bees.
3. sulfur-Can cause russeting on fruit of some cultivars, like 'Anjou.' Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.

Did you try carbaryl or pyrethrins for this before?

No, lime-sulfur is a better alternative to me. L-S cannot be shipped to certain states. Some people successfully use sulfur spray. Timing is important. Right now it is kinda late. If it is not wide spread, you can put up with it this year.

They attack to both Asian and Euro pears. Some varieties get them more than others.

Got it. Thank you so much!

I couldn’t find a good source for L-S. Would you please let me know where you bought L-S?
I searched online and most of them are for pets.
The ones found on Amazon are either pure sulfur or L-S for pets only.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HA95W2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035H7V34/

Brandt Lime Sulfur Fungicide (2.5 Gallon) – Grow Organic.

Thank you!
I also found the other old thread about the pet dip.

Because I don’t use L-S often, I will give lime sulfur pet dip a try. Hopefully it won’t kill the tree. :smiley:

Since it’s a small tree…I’ve read that people have good luck waiting until fall, picking off the leaves after the tree goes dormant, and disposing of the leaves. The blister mites are supposedly not terribly mobile. I have a tree that I need to do that with at some point.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!
I will do the same this fall.

1 Like

I can’t find the correct article, but they talk about it here, and suggest timing it for 2-3 weeks before your estimated frost. Someone mentions Neem (which can burn pear leaves), but this poster used nothing other than picking leaves while the trees were small and seemingly eliminated the mites.

http://groworganicapples.com/phorum/read.php?8,2456,2492#msg-2492

1 Like

That Bonide,micronized Sulfur is the stuff I used on a small Asian Pear tree,around this time of year,even with flowers and it worked,with no harm to the tree.bb

1 Like

I think the pet dip is ~4x more concentrated so you need to use ~1/4th the normal amount.

I have successfully set back mites with only sulphur, not lime-sulphur. But I bought the gallon of l/s and have been spraying it dormant every spring for the last several years. I have had only minor mite outbreaks since I started the dormant spray. You need to spray when the buds are really plump but not actually opening yet… there is a name for that stage which I am forgetting now.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks again!

Thank you for sharing your experiences! That is good to know. It is a good alternative because it is more readily available.

Thanks, Scott!
Yep. I will do the conversion.

It is more cost effective to buy the 2.5 G Bandt LS, but it is too much for me. I have only 2 Asian Pear trees.

I agree that timing is the key. I think I sprayed the dormant oil about 1-2 week ago. The left branch was not as developed as the center and right branches. I think the dormant oil probably nailed the mites on the left when the buds were about to swell. The buds were open on the center and right branches, so it was too late for them. It is just my guess.

I just realized that my two Asian Pear trees have this disease as well. I’m in Maryland roughly between Frederick and the DC line. NoVa did you decide to hold off on spraying until next Spring? Are you going to try pulling the leaves off (and disposing of them) this Fall just before dormancy?

Steve,
It is caused by mites soit is a peat problem, not a disease.

My pear blister mite issue was not wide spread so I just let it go for the season and timed my spray the nexr spring.

Not wide spread on your tree or not wide spread throughout your orchard? I noticed that both of my asian pear trees have it but the European pears have not been affected. One of the trees has droopy leaves which worries me. I am attaching some pics. I would prefer to wait until next Spring to do preventive action. I actually don’t have a sprayer yet so it would take me a few days to get prepared to deal with this. I thought asian pears were relatively trouble free except for occasional fire blight.

1 Like

Steve,

How are your Asian persimmons doing? Production? Btw, my Asian pears leaves were like that early in the season and they became normal later in the season.

Hi ,Steve,
I just got the LS for pet from Amazon yesterday. Nowadays the shipping is slow.
I checked the leaf development and it was not affected much. Overall the tree is still in good health. So I will just test LS on a few branches to see if it will make any big differences.
If you decide to wait until the fall to deal with it, I think that’s totally fine. And yes, I will remove all leaves and apply LS as experts suggested here.

Thanks for chiming in so quickly. Yes, I’ll take your advice (and everyone else’s) and see how things look in the next week or so.

2 Likes